Fraser and Stradbrook Islands

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1664 Views:3538 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi and thank you in advance for all the assistance. The information i am seeking is regarding Fraser and Stradbrook Island. I am planning to spend two weeks on Fraser Island in October and then thinking about heading to Stradbrook. I will be camping and using my own 4wd. I am seeking information and assistance about both islands. Best places to camp, must do's, and any other information would be greatly appreciated. thank you again.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wendy - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew
I am planning to spend a week on Fraser Island and have been trying to gather all the info I can get hold of. I found the Hema map on Fraser Island (available at most map outlets) to be really helpful. It shows most Camping areas and has info on the reverse of the map about the island.
AnswerID: 5469

Follow Up By: Andrew - Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Wendy, went and bought the map on the weekend. Thanks for your assistance.
FollowupID: 2421

Reply By: BAZZA - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2002 at 00:00

salt salt salt = Corrision. softspots + incoming tides = DISASTER (apart from Insurance hassles).
sticking to the mainland = safety/longtime 4wheelingall of aussie.
happy lengthy trips
Bazza
AnswerID: 5472

Reply By: rodeorider - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2002 at 00:00

Bazza, you live in the country?.. salt salt,, what happens when you drive up any bitumen esplanade on the foreshore of any city at the beach...salt air,, wind blown sand, and salt spray, same as being on the beach.. just don't drive thru the surf when your on the beach..and enjoy the freedom of being able to do it while we still can, oh yeah, and hose off the 4wd when you get home..
Andrew, as for Frazer Island, it used to be a fantastic place, but the tourism dollar has wrecked it somewhat for the average bloke and his family..the amount of tours, tour buses is unbelievable.. we now prefer to go to the northern end of the island, from Orchard Beach north, as this is pretty much remote from the tour operators, watch the tides, don't feed the dingo's, and have fun mate..
Andrew.
AnswerID: 5477

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2002 at 00:00

Going to Fraser in about a week and a half will tell you more after the 22nd of August, havnt been over for about 12 years but the must sees are Lakes Mc Kenzie Wabby & Basin and Central Station. Sliding down the dunes at sandy Cape is a must do. Many inland camping areas now, but best beach camping in the past was way up on the north of the island above orchid beach(protected and the odd lake available for fresh washing water) sadly Im expecting a very different and more regulated place now than Im used to but thats life in the naughties.
Use common sence when travelling on the beach, - soft sand driving (or how not to bog a vehicle) is a skill not many have and I have often had to move around somebody bogged on a good piece of sand and pull them out from the spot where one would expect to get bogged (spent my earlier years driving 2wds through similar tracks and yes getting bogged at times but that experience makes 4wdriving much easier.- my point- get some skill in the sand first.) Explore the correct tyre pressures for your vehicles weight. It is hard to bog a good driver in a good vehicle - watch for washouts from the creeks I dont think you can get to Wathumba ck anymore but the western side of the Island has claimed many a vehicle with its own quicksand. watch the tides and dont bother trying to travel either side of high tide. Before you go Rust proof the vehicle with a layer of Ensis fluid (from shell about $20 /5lit) and then some Tectyl (from most accessory shops)hire/borrow a compressor face mask and a splatter gun buy a big sheet of black builders plastic and thoroughly spray the vehicle underneath. (do the panels inside too)Give it heaps - big job but the alternative is to pay 3-500 bucks for a pro job. Take the plastic to a disposal centre.
Many inland tracks are quite boring unless you can visit some of the isolated lakes and plan to take it easy photograph watch sunsets etc.
2 weeks is a good time to spend there as you begin to feel the islands true magic. I spend a lot of time exploring the sand blows which have some interesting surprises for the adventurous and observant (not prepared to say too much) and those just looking for goood photos. Its also good to put your shoes away when you go onto the island and not wear footwear at all and enjoy the remarkable change in your feet.
Truely a magic place
Kezza
AnswerID: 5480

Reply By: greg g - Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Andrew,our family has been having annual holidays on North Stradbroke Island for the past 12 years.The locals call it Straddie.The island can be reached using barges either from Cleveland or Redland Bay the trip takes about 1 hour and costs about $80.00 return more if you are towing anything..We camp alon Flinders Beach which is about 7 klm long it is basically bush camping except you are right on the beach.The beach face north so you are usually protected from the prevailing winds..you have to be fairly self sufficient ie you have to provide your own water etc there are composting toilets set up at various points however these are the bussier areas.The best part is that only 4x4's can get there and you are only 10 minutes away from the Pub, Hot Bread Shop,or pizza if you are so inclined..we think it is great..There ia a lot of 4 wheel driving to be done however like most places it is not as good as it used to be..You can get more info from Redland Bay Shire Council or Stradbroke Visitors Centre..We have also been to Fraser Island several times it is also wonderful but completely different..ou can't swim in the ocean on Fraser but you can on Straddie they have 2 patrolled beaches in summer..I hope this info helps DO IT..
AnswerID: 5516

Reply By: Member - Bruce - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew I've Just come back from fraser island about 2 weeks ago. Curently a price war going on for the barges at inskip point near Rainbow beach one barge is $20 the othe local blocke is $30 return 2 years ago we where paying around $80 return and its only a ten minute trip. We always camp up near ocean lake behind the dunes north of Orchid beach.plenty of shelter fromthe wind.not to touristy up there.all the tracks where pretty soft but if we get rain they firm up.must sees are central station various inland lakes eli creek champaine pools and the area around sandy cape lighthouse. a lesurly day run from waddy point orchid beach area depending on the tides. Washouts where bad when i was there but they change with each tide.As stated before treat the under body of the vehicle dont get cought inthe surf and most importantly park your vehicle over a sprinkler when u get home.
AnswerID: 5544

Reply By: Member - Jim - Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 10, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew
If you in to beach camping you probably can't go wrong if you camp somewhere to the north of the "Maheno" wreck.
From there you can day tour to most parts of the island dependant on the tides. South it is about 10 minutes down to Eli Creek to use the "green" toilets nearby or fill fresh water containers from the creek as required. North you can go up to the National Park for showers or toilets if you are not set up for this yourself.
Happy Valley is nearby (20 odd minutes or so South) for provisions if you need them.
One way to break the trip, particularly if you have kids is to go over to Kingfisher on the easern side about half way through your stay and have a counter lunch, kids all like chips and the adults a draught beer. Have fun
AnswerID: 5572

Sponsored Links