Latest time to go to Cape York and meeting place

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1669 Views:1423 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am hoping someone may be able to advise me on the most "realistic" latest time one should consider venturing to Cape York. I have some extended time available soon and am considering the trip.
Also is there a local gathering place for people heading in as I will be alone. My vehicle is well equiped and I am pretty experienced but I always enjoy a bit of company when 4w dirving.
Thanx for the help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony - Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00
Valdon, I'd say about a quarter to midnight (sorry, couldn't resist!!!) :-) Haven't been myself, but when discussing over twenty beers or so with some mates they said probably no later than mid October. Cheers, Tony
AnswerID: 5510

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
October can get very hot on the cape, more so that later months once the rains have cooled it down. I'd recommend being back by the end of October at the latest, coz you don't wanna still be up there when the wet season starts.
AnswerID: 5524

Reply By: andrew - Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Valdon,
I have been "up the Cape" 3 times and have found that the later you leave it, the worse the courrougations on the tracks get and with the "build" up starting usually by Oct, it will get hot and steamy. As well you will find many of the creeks low if not dry. As for travelling companions, mate, you will meet them at every creek crossing, then at the next.....then the next, and at nightfall, you will find yourself camping with them. Plenty of people up there doing exactly what you are. Good luck on your adventure and pass on the message......"look after the Cape".
AnswerID: 5585

Reply By: StephenF - Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 11, 2002 at 00:00
Just to divert the thread a little, what's the earliest time in the season to attempt the trip? If the corrugations worsen towards the end of the season it makes sense to go early. I assume it depends on the the preceding Wet and how long it takes for the tracks to dry out.
AnswerID: 5592

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Hi StephenF,
Traditionally the dry season starts in May and the wet comes in about November. The "build up" is usually in October and is the hot humid time with no rain falling to provide relief. If an early attempt on the Cape is being planned, usually early June would be the most reliable time to go as the tracks are usually dry but the creeks still up and flowing. Carefull watch of the wet season rainfalls and a flexable departure date, as well as a sound knowlage of deep water (up to 1.2m) crossings is essential.
FollowupID: 2451

Reply By: ben - Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00
hi, i'm also going on my own to the cape in october, leaving cairns on the 4th oct. staying for three weeks. hope we don't get flooded in. might see you there.
AnswerID: 5627

Sponsored Links