60 series cruiser swivel hubs & starter

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1674 Views:1991 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,
I have two quick questions re maint on a 2h Diesel 60 series cruiser, (I love my truck....it takes me where I want to go....) when checking grease oil etc do the front swivel hubs get lubricated via the diff oil or should grese also be put in through the filler holes on top of each swivel housing?? Also it has had a niggling starting problem that no amount of new batteries trips to auto elictricians seems to be able to get a handle on. Occasionally (especcially when the motor is warm), the starter motor will struggle to turn the engine over, (I have had to roll start this thing from so many petrol stations it's not funny...) The charging system has been checked, the stater has been checked and all contacts re done, new batteries purchased, but it still feels "weak" occasionally and I am about to head bush, (googs track, Uluru, Tanami track, Kimberlies, Broome and all that good gear) and do not like the idea of having to continually roll start. I was given advice by a mechanic that the only way he knew to prevent this, (he had three 60 series with the same prob) was to run a heavy duty earth wire from the starter directly to the battery. Is this an option?? and has any one had these drama before

thanks for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RALPH - Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00
sorry can't answer the electrical problem, but the swivel hubs are packed with their own grease if oil is inside and leaking on outside of hubs you have a inner and outer seal leak on the front axel. Atfter market parts full kit cost around $145.00 from CON KYATT IN WELSHPOOL PERTH( this kit includes seals, swivel bearing,bearing races,paper seals ,outer lock hub seals,new washers etc.)
AnswerID: 5494

Reply By: royce - Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00

What..... you DON'T have a heavy duty lead to the starter motor?
AnswerID: 5514

Reply By: patroler - Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Geoff
A landcruiser tray back work vehicle I used to have would not start at all after a run of half to one hour. My workmates had similar problems as if the battery had died altogether. In these earlier cruisers the battery was at the rear of the engine bay directly above the exhaust manifold which would cook the battery. After half an hour or so when the battery cooled down the cruiser would start perfectly.
Our problem was fixed with a heat shield around the battery.
This is cheap to make and would be worth a try
Regards Robert
AnswerID: 5518

Reply By: Member - Mal - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Geoff, I'm with Royce. A lead fixed mine. Mal.
AnswerID: 5528

Reply By: geoff - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
thanks for all the replies champions..... gotta love a resource like this hey...........

I'm going with the cable.... now where did I put that old piece of speaker wire... (joking)
AnswerID: 5540

Reply By: mudgutz - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2002 at 00:00
yeah the swivelhubs.......the kit is 145 bucks all right but it is a bleep of a job takes about 6 hours to do be prepared to get real dirty repack the cv jionts with graphite grease and do the wheel bearings whilst you are in there.....dont be afraid to put plenti of htb grease in everything but the cv joints .....tip ...some blokes say undo top and bottom housings drop of the caliper and pull the whole lot outin one go......whilst this is faster do it the proper way and remove the lot starting from the hubs and work your way in.......clean the lot properly and it should last another 150000 kms.....check the breather as well no use doin the seals if the breathers blocked..youll be straight back in there the first time you hit soft sand and she heats up
AnswerID: 6549

Sponsored Links