Central Locking Kit for a 96 GQ Patrol

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 08, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1676 Views:7105 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I've just bought my first 4WD, a 96 DX 2.8L TD GQ Patrol. I want to fit a central locking kit to it. I asked my local nissan dealer and he told me to get an aftermarket kit as the actuators for the locks were around $200 each. Looked at autobarn and I can get a 4 door kit for $51 with another actuator for the back door between $20 and $50 ($70 to $100 alltogether). They charge $50 per door installation but I reckon I can do it myself. Anybody done this to their patrols?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikef - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Bryan

Strathfields have C/Locking kits for about $36.00 for 4 doors. At that price, you can buy 2, and could probably do a dodgey on the rear door with an actuator from the second kit, and have some spare actuators just in case they fail, not that I have had one fail yet, and I've fitted these things to 2 vehicles.

Another bonus is, if you buy an alarm with a Central Locking Interface, you get alarmed and keyless entry. All up cost $199 for the alarm (fitted) and about $70.00 for the C/Locking (plus your time to fit it).

The fitting is easy, just pull the door trim off and look, and look, and look, then play with the actuators and door lock rods until everything pushes and pulls in the right direction. Take your time, do them one at a time, test thoroughly before fixing, and you can't go wrong. Took me about a weekend to do both sets of doors, but I tend to be overly careful, over-engineer/over-do everything.

My 2c worth

Mikef
AnswerID: 5522

Follow Up By: Graeme N - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Hey MikeF, good to see ya over this side of the woods as well.
FollowupID: 2388

Follow Up By: Mikef - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Hey Graeme N
Yep, I get around. Also frequent the Yahoo Patrol forum as well as the camper trailer one as well. You can never have too much info, and it can be amusing sometimes.

MikeF
FollowupID: 2392

Reply By: Graeme N - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

Bryan,

I haven't done it to a Patrol, but I fitted an aftermarket kit from Strathfield Car Radios to my Pajero.

It can be a bit fiddly to fit, ( I had to fit the back door actuators across ways rather than up and down), but the end result is well worth it.

Some of the kits can then have, immobilisers, and remote controls added. (next mod for me).

If you are halfway knowledgable about these type of things they are relativelty easy to fit. Instructions are normally fairly good.

AnswerID: 5523

Reply By: Robert - Friday, Aug 09, 2002 at 00:00

If your thinking about adding remote locking or engine immob in the future then do it all now, it's a lot more expensive to buy individual componets such as a remote unit later, best to buy it alltogether in one kit.
Fitting central locking is straight forward, just make sure that the actuator's aren't in the path of the window glass as it goes up or down.
AnswerID: 5526

Sponsored Links