Hilux - Axle CV Joints

Submitted: Monday, Aug 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1695 Views:2424 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to purchase "unbreakable" CV Joints for my 1984 Hilux, Live Axle model. No such product within New Zeland are there suppliers in Australia.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Cowan - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Bob, No such thing as unbreakable CV's ! If you make them unbreakable, something else (probably more expensive) will let go. Breakages are common if you run big tyres, diff locks and employ a heavy right foot.
AnswerID: 5637

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the info Richard, yes your correct in your assumption but I am at the low end of the scale, Simex 32" tyres powered by Prado 3 Ltr Turbo, ( 1st CV to break in 30yrs of driving ), the Trials Course I competed on was unusally tight when the CV broke away.
I have contacted a fellow competitor from the NZ Winch Challenge and there are 2 proven options available, 1 to buy late model axles and have the CV's hardened or buy the CV's from a recommended supplier in Australia. The Axles and CV's are about the only bits of hardware that have not been replaced on the whole vehicle. I have also left the Steering arms out to the Max ( from driving on my F/Stone 750 SAT's ) this will be the first thing to be altered prior to the upgrade to be undertaken in the very near future.

Cheers B
FollowupID: 2442

Reply By: Ray - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Bob
There is a replacement made by Warn. Axles and CV's replaced with a US Warn kit. Bigger axles and uni's instead of CV's - suppose to be twice as strong (for big V8's). These are available from Macquarie 4WD in NSW. Warn don't make them anymore - but there may still be
kits lying around. Cost $A1,800. An extra bonus that came with the kit
was bigger hubs, huge bearings and all better seals, ie the kit is complete and pretty well replaces everything from the diff out.
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 5639

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Great stuff Ray, that would more than accommodate me if it stands up to that sort of power. Thanks for the Details. Bob
AnswerID: 5640

Sponsored Links