steering stabilisers

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1710 Views:1445 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've noticed that most vehicles with upgraded suspension, also have upgraded steering stabilisers. Is it recomended to do both at the same time? It seems like something that can wait, if the dollars dont stretch that far.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
What are you upgrading suspension to ? Why ? Steering stabilisers have got little or nothing to do with suspension upgrades and are an extra burden on power steer units (standard ones) which they were not designed for ..... Sales people are there to sell units ...of which one is a 'steering stabiliser upgrade" Ask yourself what for ? steve
AnswerID: 5656

Reply By: andrew - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Andrew,
Mate, if your 4wd has power steering, on reasonable quality dirt roads or on the tar, you will not notice much backlash through the steering. However if you are planning soon a trip up to the Cape for example, I would recomend fitting one before you go. They act virtually like a shock absorber for your steering system and on crappy, rough roads, it will help reduce that back lash and in the longrun, protect your steering system. Most dampers start at about $55. A cheap investment for a pretty important area of your 4w4's performance.
AnswerID: 5657

Reply By: Allyn - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
whats another hundred or so bucks compared to the cost of a suspension upgrade.
AnswerID: 5684

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
Agree on the protection for steering components comment. No real need
to 'Upgrade' rather just make sure that your unit is working properly
as per original spec. Take one end off & make sure that there's
damping all through the travel & no flat spots.

Before the benefit of hindsight I replaced the steering damper
on my 80 series with a $130 OME unit & noticed no real benefits. I got
suckered by the salesman - gawd bless him!

Rob
AnswerID: 5700

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
thanks for the responses, I think I'll give em the swerve, for the time being. Plenty of other things on the list which are more important. I just needed to know before i get conned into one when i get my suspension. Cheers.
AnswerID: 5748

Sponsored Links