Cape York Abandoned?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1713 Views:5571 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have heard that the 5 star resort right at the tip of the Cape has been totally abandoned!
A fire in the Generator workshop area has rendered the place unusable with no power, and with the loss of the off these facillities and the general downturn in the use of the resort repairs are not being carried out.
A deal that was to reopen the resort has failed and the caretaker looking after what was left has gone.
Last heard hot softdrinks were still in the fridges and the rooms had some sheets etc left in them.......
It looks like it may turn into the country's hardest to get to squatters camp!!
A real shame...I hope the vandles don't have 4x4's....
Has anyone been up there latley with any updates?

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
I was up there last month, it is abandoned, ATSIC stopped propping it up with.."who's" money..
apparently was initially built by the bush pilots association, then was ..sold..taken over.. by indigenous people, but never seemed to make a buck, eventually the money dried up, a fire did go through the generating plant and workshop, a few damaged vehicls there, but a lot of environmental pollution from when it was operational too,
That upper area of the cape is known as PAJINKA, and is such a eyesore and a terrible and unmanaged sight for our domestic and international tourists. Where's the EPA on this one????
I wouldn't worry about any vandals with 4wd's mate, the place was vandalised long b4 it even shut shop.
AnswerID: 5676

Reply By: John - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
Funny isn't it........sounds like We've heard it all before.
AnswerID: 5729

Follow Up By: Busysteve - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
two sets of rules
FollowupID: 2538

Sponsored Links