tyres for toyota hilux would appreciate any thoughts

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1714 Views:4810 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a s/hand 98 hilux, the tyres on it are wornout and need replacing. They are Dunlop 205R 16C . I have no intention of going for wider tyres, that,s my preference, but appreciate any thoughts on tyres for the above vehicle. Have spoke to one tyre dealer who I have traded with for many years, he suggested TOYO 205/16, said they had a good run with them etc. I don,t want to focus the replies, but what about COOPERS? I own a farm near Echuca, but intended to do as much 4x4 driving, outback tripping as I can, but will also need to drive into town etc. Thanks in anticipation for your time and reply. Des
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
Des, I have just put 10,000 kms on a set of Coopers and am extremely happy thus far. Will be giving them their first real test over the next couple of weeks. Many people claim them to be noisy on the black top, but having a diesel (1990 DC Hilux), I really can't notice, and they hold on in the wet on the black top better than I had anticipated aswell. This isn't to say though that other brands aren't as good (BFG, Dunlop etc), and i'm sure you'll get some more posts to back this up. In the end it usually comes down to each to their own. cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 5663

Follow Up By: Busysteve - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
I have a friend at the moment that is travelling through the middle of oz and he put a set of coopers on before he left newcastle and he had only done ten thou when he got hes first blow out and when he went to by a new 1 they said they dont give them warranty up here so he said he will never by them again also he got a nother tyre later on with side wall damage so he has swaped to bfgs.He reconds there not as good as they say already hes had a flat. Al i can say i have had bfgs and ithought they were bleep wear to fast and no good in mud at all So a brother (been in the tyre game 4 ten years} put me onto hankook and ive had them 4to 6 {2 sets}years and never had a flat touch wood and i have been all over from the cape to frazier
FollowupID: 2536

Reply By: Lou- Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2002 at 00:00
Des, I've done 40 000 km (including a recent French line crossing E-W in the Simpson) on a set of Cooper AT's fitted to a 98 Hilux extra cab. Top tyres, no problems, no puctures and I recon there's another 40 000 still on them. Yes they're a bit noisy on the blacktop, so who cares. I's go for the LT version of the new ST type. I recon they're worth the money. However like fridges, you'll get heaps of aguements fore and against. In the end it's your money!
AnswerID: 5681

Reply By: liam - Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00
I too have just purchased a hilux and have been looking to replace the tyres. I'm running 205 r16 also. Have you heard of motorway tyres, the are reformed tyres and at a good price. I have got a quote for $89 each. I have read and head good things about them, even from those who dont supply them! I am on a budget so the good price helps. Look athttp://www.motorway-tyres.com.au/ for more info.
AnswerID: 5758

Follow Up By: Rodeoowner - Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00
Liam, don't do it! I had retreads on my old Courier, as I was on a budget. I don't think they were Motorway, but these things were dangerous travelling at anything above 90kph. The vehicle would sway all over the road. I had them on for around 1500km, but took them off. The carcass said they were good for up to 120kph, but not these. I paid $75 each and totally wasted my money. I was really tight for cash, so picked up some old Duelers second hand for $25 each to get me by.
FollowupID: 2498

Sponsored Links