Is 2.8l TD GQ Patrol ok for towing ?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1729 Views:1843 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard that the 2.8l Turbo Diesel GQ patrols are paticularly poor tow vehilcles, mainly due to their gearbox, but have also heard that the 2.8TD is unreliable .... is there anyone out there that could confirm/deny these rumours for me.

Cheers Zac. B.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RussellV - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
I can only confirm that a 2.8TD Patrol I know of had to have the heads replaced due to hairline cracks and loss of coolant. the heads have been replaced and there is still an issue of loss of coolant. The vehicle is not used for towing but is driven 99% on dirt roads and station tracks. Apparently it doesn't happen to all 2.8s just the odd one or two. I'd be very careful about buying one and check its service history out etc.
Apart from all that the owners are extremely happy with its performance especially under load.
Cheers
AnswerID: 5734

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 15, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Zac, I own a gq 2.8 and love it. However i would not recomend one for the sole purpose of towing, as the engine doesnt develop enough power before the turbo takes affect (1900 rpm), to pull a load, especially uphill. In terms of reliabilty and cracked heads, preferabbly buy one with a turbo timer. Don'tcook the engine and your heads won't crack, and you must know the service history. Andrew.
AnswerID: 5749

Sponsored Links