Steering Box on a 86 hilux

Submitted: Friday, Aug 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1735 Views:5022 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 86 Hilux (2.4 D) and there is excessive free play in the steering. It has been suggested that i will have to replace the steering junction box. Any Idea of the cost or the difficulty of replacing. I have a basic mechanical knowelge and keep learning as problems arise in my vehicles. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 12, 2002 at 00:00
gidday liam,
mate you don't mention whether you have power steer or not, but if you haven't you might just find that you can take some of the free play out by adjusting the screw on the top of the steering box. I am assuming it is basically the same or similar as earlier models, there is a nut with a slotted scre inside. Slacken off the nut until loose then screw the slotted screw clockwise (just a little at a time) and check the steerwheel for excessive play. If you overtighten this you will notice that when you steer around a corner say the steering wheel will not free rotate to the straight ahead position as it normally would (and y=this will also induce excessive wear on the steering gears). Hope this helps
snow
AnswerID: 6565

Sponsored Links