Auxilliary Battery Setup V6 Prado

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 08, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 175 Views:2025 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to set up an auxilliary battery in my Prado, mainly for use with fridge. I mainly go away on weekend/ long weekend trips. What I would like to know is, What is a good system to use as an isolating/charging unit. Is the Pirahna system as good as I have been told or is there another superior type out there. Also some people have told me to use a deep cycle battery but I have been told that these batteries do not like fast charging and they also work best if run right down before charging. Which would not be possible if the fridge I use has a low voltage cutout. So therefore would I be Better off using A heavy duty 15 or 17 plate battery. I have had so much advice, but what I would like is to talk to someone who has a system fitted that they can tell me about. Please help me.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pete - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2001 at 00:00
Norm,
I have a V6 Prado with a duel Battery set up. There is only one battery to use if you use the side by side battery set up. That is a small one. There are alternatives but you would have to rearrange everything in the engine bay which is expensive. Or you can locate it in the rear of the vehicle. I use mine to power an Engel and it works great. We go camping for weekends and long er and i have had no trouble at all. If you live in Perth you are quite welcome to come and have a look. If not give me your email address and i will send you a photo of what it looks like.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 345

Follow Up By: Norm - Thursday, Apr 12, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 12, 2001 at 00:00
Unfortunately I am a fair way from Perth. But I would be grateful if you could send me a photo. Thanks kindly, Norm..
FollowupID: 66

Follow Up By: Narelle - Thursday, Apr 12, 2001 at 00:00

Pete, if its no trouble can you please email a photo of the battery set up. I have been given a quote of around $850 to fit one (in Sydney). I also just need it to run an Engel for camping. Tks if you can help.
FollowupID: 67

Follow Up By: Ray Mcgregor - Tuesday, May 08, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 08, 2001 at 00:00
Pete i have a v6prado & wish to do something similiar but wish to have the second battery in my camper trailer.
would your setup work and if so i would appreciate some details
thanks Ray
FollowupID: 104

Reply By: Noel - Thursday, Apr 12, 2001 at 00:00

Norm - Recently read an interesting piece about dual battery setups on the back of a Liemack Product Information Sheet. If your fridge has a low voltage cut-out then this article will be very relevent. I use a simple isolator made by Electro Parts (near Toowoomba I think) which was quite cheap but works well. Ithink it cost me about $125. If you cant get hold of the Liemack article, e-mail me and Ill fax it to you. Regards, Noel
AnswerID: 346

Follow Up By: Norm - Thursday, Apr 12, 2001 at 00:00

Noel, would be interested in seeing the unit which you describe. thanks, Norm
FollowupID: 65

Reply By: Camper - Friday, Apr 13, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 13, 2001 at 00:00
Norm, You need a deep cycle battery for running the fridge. A very large charge current is only detrimental to these bats if it has been run flat which is something that should be avoided as life expectancy will be compromised. Cranking bats are made to deliver a large current for a short period of time, deep discharges will very quickly ruin a cranking battery. For maximum battery life of a deep cycle battery limit depth of discharge to 50%. I have no experience with the isolator you mentioned. Dick smith has a kitset isolator which has limitations as to charge current but is a nice solid state unit and comes at the right price. For more battery info search on battery faq
AnswerID: 352

Follow Up By: Camper - Friday, Apr 13, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 13, 2001 at 00:00
Norm, I sussed out the battery faqs for you mate. These will tell you all you need to know about cranking and deep cycle bats
http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/dcbat.html
http://nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca/~schmaus/batfaq.html
FollowupID: 68

Sponsored Links