Compressors - Again!!!!

Submitted: Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1755 Views:1625 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have read the archives on this subject and am still in limbo. My list has been narrowed down to the ARB or Pro Air from Bushranger as they are both within my price range. The benifit in favour of the ARB is the ability down the track to attach to a locker, would the Pro Air be suitable to connect to a locker. They both seem to have simalar run times (40mins?) but the Pro Air comes with 5 yrs warranty over the ARB's two year and is slightly quicker.
Has anyone any experience with the new Pro Air to back up the manufactors claims that may sway my decision.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kevin - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
I have just purchased a Blue Tounge and have found it to be extremely fast in inflating a 285x16 and reseats the bead in no time. I think you should have a pump for tyre and one for diff locks. Having the tyre pump not mounted make it extremely flexable for other uses you may need air for.

The price currently from opposite lock is cheaper than the ARB unit.

Regards
Kevin
AnswerID: 5823

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

I personally would buy a continuously rated compressor, as I have a trailer and live in the tropics, so I want something that will keep going for 6 tires plus my mates if necessary (the Blue Tongue is therefore on my shopping list).

That said, any compressor can run an air locker. You just have to have it plumbed to an air tank and controlled by a pressure switch. The ARB compressor just simplifies all that.

The warranty is a big factor, but you also need to know if the compressor you choose can be serviced (or rebuilt) and if parts will be available. See the article in 4WD monthly about how the ARB one can be cheaply serviced and made as new, if it is abused too much.
AnswerID: 5831

Reply By: Rob Berrill - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

I checked them all out and bought a Blue Tongue, its great, has a fan and doesn't overheat. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 5833

Follow Up By: Member - Ian - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
Rob
if its not a rude question what was the price of the blue tounge compared to the arb ?
thanks Ian
FollowupID: 2540

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

I priced them both today and the Blue Tongue and ARB are the same price, but the Blue Tongue is faster and continuously rated (and Dennis is a good bloke :)
FollowupID: 2544

Reply By: swogger - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

HI
have just been down the what compressor to buy road myself. I ended up buying ARB unit and I am very happy with it. It pumps my 265 16" tyres up from 15 psi to 30 psi in 2 1/2 minutes each. So 10 minutes and im ready to go, I know there is quicker units around but I have not heard a bad report on the ARB. Hope this helps?
AnswerID: 5857

Reply By: nico - Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 22, 2002 at 00:00
Yorkie..... I have purchased a ARB in the portable box and have had no trouble ..
This does everything i need it to .The fan on the blue tounge is supposed to suck in dust and wear out parts quicker. ARB arent the fastest compressors but when you are on holidays does it matter between 2.5 minutes a tyre or 5 mins

.....ARB have shops in most majors centers in aust as which was a major selling factor for me (if they need to be serviced)
AnswerID: 5914

Sponsored Links