More info on tyre size change....Insurance

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1763 Views:2338 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to everyone who responded to my last posting re changing tyre diameters. There were some who suggested I check with my insurance company. In my case that is NRMA. I thought some would be interested to know their response. Essentially, there will be no affect on my insurance in going from a 245/70R16 to 265/70R16. It just needs to be listed on the policy as an accessory/modification. They state that only an increase in rim size may affect the insurance policy and the size installed needs to be within their guidelines. I do find it interesting that they would put this in writing to me, when RTA guidelines in NSW say this exceeds the maximum diameter increase allowable.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dean - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
It's no wonder we are all confused with this topic. My insuraance co. RAA, told me I could change my rim sizes within two inches but didnt care about the tyres, when I emailed them the ADR24 they replied, illegal tyres, no insurance. However, this reply came from their underwriters, obviously they checked it out a bit more.
Dean.
AnswerID: 5845

Reply By: Graeme - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Thats good news from the Insurance co, but remember one thing. If its illegal to have those size wheels fitted to your vehicle the insurance doesn't matter. You will find a clause somewhere thats says something like "roadworthy", if your wheels are illegal its not roadworthy & therefore your insurance may not cover it. Its not the insurance co's responsibility to check for mod legalities.

Hey thats just my 2c worth.
AnswerID: 5846

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Graeme's absolutely right - the insurance company might acknowledge a modification, but if it turns out to be outside the law and hasn't been approved by the transport dept, then you have no insurance at all.
AnswerID: 5856

Sponsored Links