Battery Charging

Submitted: Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1815 Views:1499 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a TOJO 80 series with dual battery system. This looks after my camper trailer, also fitted with it's own deep cycle battery when mobile. However when I camp and disconnect the trailer from the car I use a (factory made in VIC) Honda 2.5hp motor direct coupled to a Bosch 55amp alternator to charge the battery. I have been disconnecting the battery (which runs an Engel fridge & Lights) while charging. Is this necessary or can I just hook up the charger while connected. Can't really see the difference between using the Engel as car fridge and charging while mobile!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 26, 2002 at 00:00
Unless you suspect the battery is faulty or it is really flat, then it shouldn't hurt to leave the fridge running while it is charging, as it is no different to using the vehicles alternator.
AnswerID: 6030

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00
No difference Gary, As long as the battery is across the circuit no damage can occur...even if the baterry is flat. It acts as a sort of capacitor and holds the alternator output voltage back from rising to high.
John
AnswerID: 6076

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2002 at 00:00
Hi John, some (not all) batteries can develop a very high internal resistance when dead flat. This can reduce the capacitive effect of the battery in the circuit. Another good reason not to flatten batteries too much.
FollowupID: 2660

Sponsored Links