Camp Beds what is the best

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 184 Views:5664 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In am seeking information as to what experiences people have in relation to camp beds. That is blow up, self inflating, foam, stretcher beds etc. For a 4WD tour what is the best in terms of vehicle space vs comfort.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jenny - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2001 at 00:00
My husband and I have bought the self inflating Carribee 4 WD mats. They are bulky but you get a wonderful nights sleep and that is the most importantthing to us. They are 198cm long x 80 cm wide and are 10 cm thick when unrolled. If you have the space you should seriously consider them. Absolutely luxurious!!!
AnswerID: 368

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2001 at 00:00
As always, the answer starts with "It depends . . ". My wife is firmly of the opinion that the best camp beds are to be found in building with "Hilton" on the front, but in reality that is not what we are about !

As far as we are concerned the best nights sleep is to be found using a self inflating mattress on top of an air bed. This allows us to sleep together and the thin self inflator provides insulation from the cold air in the air bed.

However, the kids sleep on camp stretchers with similar self inflating mattresses on top of them.

Being a "big" bloke (I am 193cm and 97kg) I cant find a camp stretcher that comfortably accommodates me, even for those weekend fishing trips when I leave my wife behind. The stretchers do have the space advanrage and ease of erection on their side though, so if you are closer to the "average" in terms of size and weight I would say use a stretcher. But if you want to share accommodation (and you never know eh ? nudge, nudge ) then the air bed topped with a thin self inflater is the best.

Whatever you do, dont stint on it as sleepless or restless nights will ruin a holiday.

Have fun

Joe
AnswerID: 369

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00
I have the Termarest Campmate. They cost about $200 but well worth it. Compact, light and very comfortable. Be wary of cheaper brands.

Andrew
AnswerID: 383

Reply By: Robert - Monday, Apr 30, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 30, 2001 at 00:00
David,
I use a self inflating mattress and believe it to be the most comfortable. Good luck!
AnswerID: 395

Reply By: Clint - Wednesday, May 02, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 02, 2001 at 00:00
Dave,

I use a therma-rest camprest self inflating mattress. It costs around $230 but it is the next best thing to your bed at home!
AnswerID: 409

Reply By: Allan - Thursday, May 03, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 03, 2001 at 00:00
David, I purchased a double self inflating matress approx 2.5 years ago. I was a cheap one made in China for The great outdoors Co. It no longer self inflates in a reasonable time (maybe after 2 days it might). It will end up in the rubbish after the end of this season. Stick to a good quality brand and be prepared to pay the money.
Regards
Allan
AnswerID: 420

Sponsored Links