Roof Top Tents

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 29, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1840 Views:2391 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning to travel the east coast over summer and am after a roof top tent. Being on a budget I am not keen on spending 2+ grand as some models are. Does anybody have an know a supplier (perhaps a canvas shop) that sells them a a reasonable cost, or does any body have (or know someone has) one for sale. I live in the Northern suburbs of Perth. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paulr - Thursday, Aug 29, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 29, 2002 at 00:00
Liam, I'm up in Ocean Reef; contact e-mail paulr@atomaer.com.au
AnswerID: 6129

Reply By: paul - Friday, Aug 30, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Liam
why do you want a roof top tent ????
too much trouble, they catch the wind and keep you awake at night also they make you sea sick with the swaying in the wind.
if you are planning on going up to north Queensland I certainly wouldnt use a roof top tent as you are looking at going in the summer ie: the wet
instead look out for a double swag lots of styles about and the most expensive being around $600 much better than the $2k for a roof top wind tunnel. easy to use takes 2 mins to put up and having the ability to just have fly screens closed is cooler than full canvass in summer and of course with the canvass flaps closed nice and warm in the windy southern winter
AnswerID: 6171

Reply By: geoff - Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Liam Unfortunately some people tend to comment on things they know nothing about. I own an Eezi-Awn roof top tent and one thing they are not a big wind catcher with it on my Jackaroo one its own my fuel useage does not change. Next comment concerning the wind we were down in Vic. during 70knot winds and most campers around us lost their tents their awinings their poles while we slept through it our roof top tent stayed up and we were very very dry. We have had all good experiences they are a good way if you are touring the only downfall we have found is if we want to stay somewhere longer than overnight and want to use the vehicle we have to pack up. To overcome this we brought a small tent to place on our campsite while we are away. I got mind second hand for $1,000 and in excellent condition.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 6222

Follow Up By: Paul - Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00

I used to have a shipshape roof top and it was so aweful and awkward I used it twice and then bought a swag, the shipshape is resting in the back of my garage gathering dust , where it will stay until I have a garage clearout.
I guess with roof top tents you either love them or hate them
FollowupID: 2737

Follow Up By: Bob - Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00

Geoff you have highlighted the major reason for most people not choosing a roof top tent. You set up camp before sun down and then decide to go for meal/restaurant/sightseeing/visiting/etc,etc and the tent is up!! By far the most popular set up is the centre pole tent. There are a number of excellent Australian made canvas centre pole tents. They take a minute or two to put up (perimeter pegs and one pole). They are extremely stable and weather proof and you don't have to carry an extra one to keep your spot!! That must be one of the funniest things I've heard of for a long time.
FollowupID: 2742

Follow Up By: John - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
geoff im glad to hear that your enjoying your roof top tent and the great outdoors, its a great place to be ..........if the others carnt find anything useful to say ...then why bother posting usless replys ??
john :)
FollowupID: 2856

Sponsored Links