Waeco Fridge Performance

Submitted: Monday, Apr 23, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 185 Views:2624 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased a Waeco FF-30 (30 litre) fridge ($599) and ran the following test over Easter. I completely filled the fridge and left it on full freeze overnight. When we arrived at our campsite the next afternoon the fridge temperature was -16 deg C. I immediatley turned it to its warmest setting. It ran for 2 days on a 4 year old Exide ED5 75 amp hour battery and remained at around -1 deg C. The 10.5 volt cutout then shut the fridge down. I turned it off and for the next 2 days the temperature remained near zero degrees C. It was opened twice to remove frozen meat. On the third day the temperature started to climb rapidly. Upon opening the fridge two bottle of water were still half frozen. Ambient temperatures were in the mid 20s during the day and low teens at night.
A friend of mine performed a similar test on a similar fridge at the same time and achieved similar results but his new battery was still above 10.5 volts after 3 days. Both fridges were in insulated bags in the vehicle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony- Tuesday, Apr 24, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2001 at 00:00
So what is your question or is that statement just an advertisement speil??
AnswerID: 365

Follow Up By: Greg - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00
Tony there is nowhere in the forum where I could post this information which I thought was useful. I have no connection with any fridge manufacturer and these where carefully conducted tests the result of which I thought would be more than interesting to readers. Something I omitted was that the compressor I believe is factory set to 3.5 amps and can be set to around 2.5 amps for even better battery life but less freezing efficiency. I ran an Engel for over 25 years and was very happy with it but it just couldnt compete witth the Waeco for price.
FollowupID: 78

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 27, 2001 at 00:00
Given that the most popular topic on the forum is fridges, and the current hot product is whether the new Waeco is as good as the popular Engel, I think this was a good place for your report on performance. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Lets not forget that ExplorOz.com is a non-biased, independent and interactive site that supports the entire 4WD industry. We want our readers to use this site to report the truth of what you experience - the good and the bad.
FollowupID: 83

Sponsored Links