Optima/Orbital Batteries

Submitted: Friday, Aug 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1859 Views:2544 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody any comments on the Optima or Orbital battery. They would want to be very good for the price!. Has any one fitted one inside the cabin of a vehicle? Ta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00
Cameron
I fitted one inside the back of a TD5 Disco because it was the easiest place to install it. The Optima, being dry cell, can be used inside the vehicle, and lying on its side if you must. It works perfectly. I can't comment on longevity because its only about a year old. It seems to charge up quickly. When the OEM cranking battery failed I put an Optima cranking battery in its place too. Again, no problems thus far.
AnswerID: 6210

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00

I haven't got one, I instead went for a N70ZSS (severe service) with a megapulse (anti-sulphation device) which cost me $260 all up. My main reason for not getting an optima was that I live in the far north and therefore have a greater chance of a sealed battery losing water which can't be replaced. Otherwise I would have almost certainly got one.

The selling points of an optima are:

They are less prone to sulphation than normal batteries, so should therefore last much longer
They are more robust than normal batteries so shouldn't die early from too much offroading.
They recharge quicker than normal batteries
The should never leak as the liquid acid is absorbed into glass mats

The only disadvantage of optima (apart from initial price) is that if you managed to overheat the battery (eg your regulator died on your alternator) then you can't fix it by adding more water.

I'd recommend the yellow top even for starting as it can also run the odd accessory and still has the same CCA
AnswerID: 6217

Follow Up By: Cameron - Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks, I got 4.5 years out of an Overlander 700, do you reckon I would get 8 + out of the optima ??
Ta
FollowupID: 2741

Reply By: paul - Saturday, Aug 31, 2002 at 00:00

Optima batteries are the best on the market
you can mount them upside down if you want ,
higher power reserves , quicker re charge , if you do go for them buy a deep cycle as a cranking battery as you cant destroy it by having lots of accessories on your car,
I live in the tropics of North Queensland and have no problems with them here , because they are fully sealed you can mount them wherever you want
AnswerID: 6228

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Sep 01, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 01, 2002 at 00:00
You may get 8 years out of one, but I reckon you'd be very lucky.

If none of the other factors (faster recharge, mounting options) are needed then you may get better value from a flooded battery with a megapulse.
AnswerID: 6231

Sponsored Links