starter battery for hilux diesel

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1878 Views:1684 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering to carry a SEALED spare starter battery in the back of a hilux diesel (2 liter). Its sole purpose is for starting the car in the bush when the main battery is empty. I am unsure about the minimum size/weight and price for such a battery and the loss of charge with time. What is the minimum starter current needed for the hilux? Thanks for your help.

Andreas

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Sep 02, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 02, 2002 at 00:00
Gel batteries are probably best as they has the lowest self discharge, and very high start current for their size.

Just a word of warning. Try to avoid running your main battery down, as normal starter batteries aren't designed to ever be flattened and doing so will drastically reduce their life and their ability to recharge properly.
AnswerID: 6260

Follow Up By: Magun - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the information Nigel. Perhaps you could point me to models/companies in Oz (if possible on the WEB) as I am living abroad.

Andreas
FollowupID: 2801

Reply By: Member - Des - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
a couple of things I would consider, how long are u going to be camped. But most of all.......what is the situation if your main battery is dead, and because of self discharge etc, your "sealed start battery" is now dead also. Rubbing 2 sticks together won,t start it!!!
AnswerID: 6298

Follow Up By: Andreas - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Well, I'd hope that the spare battery would still have enough charge when the main battery has become flat: A typical duration of a trip in the bush is 3-4 weeks.. In the rather unlikely situation where
both batteries are not available anymore (flat or destroyed by a car fire) there is still some hope left with a EPIRP or people coming along.

Andreas
FollowupID: 2804

Sponsored Links