bad water taste in 2004 kimbverley kamper

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:51
ThreadID: 18989 Views:4722 Replies:25 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
hi out there - i have a problem

we picked up a new 2004 kimberley classic mariner in may 2004 and since then for 7 months have had a b**dy lousy taste in the water especially from the hand pump - and cant really drink the water so we just use it for washing etc

kimberley in ballina have changed the hoses once under warranty as well as fixed some other probs on the kamper but they used the same type of wire reinforced food grade hose and while this improved the situation a bit - still a rotten chemical taste remained to some extent

ok i searched the archives with some difficulty this week - first time user - and found where big red had the same prob in feb 04 and was advised to try lemon essence / lemon juice

so can somebody tell me what dilution rate to use in the ss water tank of 130 litre size and most importantly did it really WORK? - we will be grateful for any advice and improvement believe me

thanks in anticipation
see you
gregr

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:54

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 12:54
Stop using the urinal on the side of the camper for a while and see if that helps (the one with the screw cap).
AnswerID: 90920

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:47

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:47
you wanka bob....you certainly now how to upset people dont you....
lol lol lol
wonder if Gregr will come back to EO
hahahahaha
if one gets frustrated over your trival smart ass, very funny non the less, comment then i had beter watch out !!!!
FollowupID: 349513

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 21:26

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 21:26
Bob, I found that funny. But there again I'm not the bloke with the problem. Rekkon that some of us are still suffering with headaches. Lighten up guys.
FollowupID: 349550

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 22:43

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 22:43
I thought it was funny, have heard of blokes piddling in stranger places than a van's water tank.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 349567

Reply By: Member - Darryl - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:01

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:01
Greg r
I had a similar probwith our camper ,picked up some bad bore water .I filled up with scheme water and added some viniger and left for a few days then flushed out.It worked for us.
cheers
darryl
AnswerID: 90921

Reply By: gregr - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:11

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:11
thank you darry
butl have tried viniger, vanilla and bicarb of soda and about 10,000 litres of water to flush out - no joy so far unfortunately
AnswerID: 90923

Reply By: Member - Karl - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:12

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:12
I would look at using about a cup full and fill your tank and let it sit for a few days. Then drain and flush and see if it needs to be done again. Remember that lemon juice is an acid and the more you can use the stronger it will be and the better it will work.

Just be sure to use food grade (light blue hoses - I think) for filling your tank and only fill with water that you know is good quality. You can buy these hoses from Bunnings and other major Hardware Stores - get one and kept it with your camper and only use it to fill.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 90924

Follow Up By: gregr - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:22

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:22
thank you karl
i appreciate your reply
i will give her a whirl in the tank and see how we go
cant be any worse than what it is now
see you greg
FollowupID: 349506

Reply By: gregr - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:30

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:30
bob
why waste your and my time by being a half smart total DH

most 4wd aussies are really good people who will help a mate out and do what they can for you if or when your in trouble

but then there is the 5 to 10% of total DHs who stuff it up for all

i have been doing this as a labour of love for over 35 yrears and when i first drove fraser island ocean beach in 4 wd in a series 11 short wb landy with a holden red motor in it there were 7 other 4 wds on the beach for that whole week and what great people they all were

unfortunately in thoes 35 years i have watched an influx of total dh s continue to appear in the 4wd scene and so where do you sit bob - in the 90 to 95 % of decent people or in the 5 to 10 % of total DH's

just do yourself a favour and try to grow up hey!
AnswerID: 90926

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:53

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 13:53
Lighten up a little Greg. It was after all just a harmlees little, joke. I'm sure Bob meant you no personal harm.

I got a laugh.

cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 349505

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:41

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:41
I got a laugh too... But can also understand that humour can be lost on someone who is frustrated.
There is a lot of Bob's style of humour on the site Greg, it is dished out WITHOUT malice so if it doesn't sit well with you ignore it. Attacking blokes will only give them inspiration.

P.S the lemon juice worked in my in-laws caraven tank.
FollowupID: 349508

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 19:57

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 19:57
Greg.... mate you unfortunatly have to roll with the blows.. I recently learned that if you call a spade a spade then you will incure the wrath of our moderators and as Blue says if you ignore it then it just goes away like a bad smell. Now as to a solution for your distasteful water problem... go to a boating place or a good outdoor shop ( I know Whitworths have these) and buy some water freshening tablets and follow the instructions...
Worked for me after trying all the remedies... the only one that came close was Bi Carb but i had to use about 100 gms to 60 litres... but the tablets worked well. The problem can be caused by impurities in the parison when the plastic tanks are blow moulded as is the case with mine....only other option is to fit a new tank
FollowupID: 349535

Reply By: Pedirka - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:34

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:34
Careful mate! You may fall into the 10 to 15% club.
To me it was a clever harmless joke. To give a laugh.

Hope that bad water taste gets resolved.
Sincerely
Pedirka. (Qld)
AnswerID: 90931

Reply By: gregr - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:42

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 14:42
hey jim
i have as good a sense of humour as any 2001 3.0 litre TD patrol owner
most of whom are not apparently noted for their sense of humour on this site after looking at a very quick search of the archives

but what i really was hoping for was some sensible comments, suggestions and a bit of experienced assistance to solve a real pain in the ar*e problem for me with what is a very expensive camper - and one that kimberley kampers cant seem to resolve themselves to date with my particular unit

if you had a laugh at my expense then thats ok
but it did not really help me solve my very frustrating problem
which is all i am really about and why i am in here for now
i did not really come in for a chat
but i wish you all the best in 05
so see you gregr
AnswerID: 90932

Reply By: crusa - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 15:18

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 15:18
Hi Greg

When we travel in the caravan, we carry less than full tank of water in one of the two water tanks. When we arrive on a site and need to top up our tank/s we establish that the water is reasonably ok, we use a portable double filter unit when we put water slowly into the caravan tank/s. Using the blue water food grade hose from park tap we use brass fittings all along the line from tap through twin filter and into the caravan water tank inlet/s. Most Qld parks have clorine and the twin filter cartridge unit provides very good clean non smelling water. I am pretty fussy with my coffee! (LOL) Our water tanks are ALWAYS only filled through the twin filter unit and we change the filters annually.

Regards

Graeme
AnswerID: 90934

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 15:41

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 15:41
Gregr.

From Whitworths(whitworths.com.au), you can buy, Tank Cleen, Water Conditioner, Micropur Water Disinfectant, Aquatabs Purification Tablets and Sudbury Aquafresh. All 5 products suggest they will condition and purify contents of your water tanks.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 90936

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:18

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:18
Greg, the black poly tanks seem pretty good for potable quality, but the potable quality hoses should make a difference. They are clear with a yellow and blue stripe that I have, with a nylon weave.

Friends used bi-carb to get the chemical taste out of their bladder system. We actually keep the drinking water separate in clear containers 10-20 litres at a time, keeping lower quality water for washing and showering in the tanks.
AnswerID: 90940

Reply By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:52

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:52
Is it a metalic taste or plastic taste? get some others to test and write down the answers...every body has differnt concept of what metal and plastic taste like.....could even be organic...algae dead or alive...a bacterium of some sort? Some tastebuds might shine a light on what it could be and this might give a hint where to start looking?
AnswerID: 90941

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:54

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:54
bright idea....baby bottle sterilizing solution might help get rid of it?
FollowupID: 349514

Reply By: kesh - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:59

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 16:59
Gregr If you have been "doing this for 35 years" can afford a KC, have flushed "10,000 l. of water through it" seem to have the attitude of a cut snake, but you dont seem to have asked anyone else to taste this "crook" water for a second opinion - jeez mate, wat do you want? I just dont believe you've ever been thirsty. My suggestion is try the lemon essence (drinking it!) its about 45% alc. might help you get a better perspective. Could be your best chance!
AnswerID: 90942

Reply By: Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 17:02

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 17:02
We bought a new Campomatic Ranger M3 a few months back and it does the same, but not badly - just noticeable. We are fussy about water and don't drink it when it tastes funny though ! Not a lot of point in carrying 120 L of water just for washing up - creek water will do for that ! Our emerging habit is to keep the tank full of tap water when not in use (Adelaide tap has about 30 ppm of Chlorine in it - not a bad preservative) - this load takes some of the smell prior to trips - we run that onto the garden and fill with fresh just prior to departure. We still have about 25L of rainwater in a SS tank in the car anyway - we can reduce the quantity in the trailer accordingly. One ill considered aspect of the single tank design, is if you have to top up with inferior water (for safety) when bush, you have to contaminate what might have been better water ! Two tanks would be the best. Maybe keeping the tank full with a small does of chemistry would be the go - flush and fill just prior to the trip.
AnswerID: 90943

Reply By: ev700 - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 17:49

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 17:49
gregr
The two best products for deodorising are Miltons (see baby products at Woolworths) and baking soda. Do not use together of course.

Miltons has the dilution rate on the bottle. For baking soda just dissolve a packet full in warm water and then fill tank. Empty tank and re-fill, no extended flushing necessary.

Maybe some people notice 'chemical' tastes more.
EV700
AnswerID: 90949

Reply By: Member - Mark W (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 18:19

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 18:19
gregr
Is it the tank or the hoses that are putting the taste into the water ??
Maybe a new tank may be requried after all you've done to flush out the taste?
Mark
AnswerID: 90952

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 20:05

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 20:05
The ultimate solution is to install a water filter from Bunnings....did this on my new van.. fits onto the tap and by switching a lever gives you the best water you'll ever taste or unfiltered to wash with....costs around $80-90. Now when the chaps drop round for high tea ( scones compulsory ) it is superb and could even be by "appointment" to EIIR. It also solves the problem of getting a tankfull of "off" water...
AnswerID: 90955

Reply By: pjd - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 20:16

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 20:16
put in about 25 ltrs of your favorite cordial first then top up with water its no good for dishes but it tastes alot better. ps no it is not a joke
AnswerID: 90959

Reply By: Member - big bo (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 21:00

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 21:00
Gregr,
All the advise sounds great, but what are Kimberley doing about it?.I am due to pick up my Camper at the end of January and believe me if the water tastes as bad as what you say yours is I will stick it right up them, I see it as their problem, get them to fill it with water and see how it tastes, if still no good get them to drink it. Tell them to replace the tank or complain like hell to all the resources available to you.We the customer always seem to get the raw deal. Gee I get P...sed off when I hear things like this.
Up to now I have had a fairly good understanding with Kimberley, we will see.You spend big money and are intitled to a good product
AnswerID: 90965

Follow Up By: Dao - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 23:04

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 23:04
Big Bo,
Just wondering if you could let us know what were the deciding factors in going for the KK. Noticed through the archives that you had been looking at a few, and like us, curious about best type of brakes, etc.
Thanks Dao
FollowupID: 351446

Follow Up By: Member - big bo (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 20:23
Dao,
They all have good qualities, just in my eyes what struck my wife and i was the strenght of the unit, she liked the kitchen set up ,I liked the sleeping set up and we liked the sales service and the apparent after market service and the spares at 5 star campers - Swansea NSW. Since we are in to 4WD with our club we opted for a stronger unit and not neccessarily a lighter unit. They all are about the same price for similar units so get the best deal you can yet. Swansea 5 star campers gave $1000.00 off for 4 WD clubs.
Regards.
FollowupID: 351572

Follow Up By: Dao - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:28

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:28
Big Bo,
Thanks for that, seems like we are on the same thinking track and looking through the same dealer, will have to look into the 4WD club discount.
One more question, if/when you decide to upgrade your vehicle, what will you do about tyres since new Prado is now 17" and Patrol as well. We have a Rodeo 3L TD at the moment and not sure what we will go to next as we are a bit unsure how it will go towing the KK, also not sure if KK will suit 17".
Let us know how the KK goes when you get it, interested to know how the Prado handles towing it and what the tare and ball weight come in at.
Thanks
Dao
FollowupID: 351577

Follow Up By: Member - big bo (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:31

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:31
Dao,
If you have a e-mail address send it to me and when I get my Camper I will be in touch. My e-mail is bo.werner@idl.net.au otherwise send a phone number if you wish.
See you.
FollowupID: 351631

Reply By: Member - Lindsay S (Int) - Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 22:24

Saturday, Jan 01, 2005 at 22:24
Hi Gregr
I have never had the brains to stay out of a stoush..........................
The problem you are having with water should not be occurring. The days are long gone when potable water storage was a black art. With the proviso that the water going in is good, something is wrong with the tank or lines, and as you paid for a potable water system, this makes it unfit for purpose and the responsibility of the Manufacturer. Unfortunately they often need a little more than polite requests or subtile hints to see it this way.
Having said that there are plenty of good small charcoal filters on the market which, if fitted close to point of use will take the tastes out of the water. Flow rates on the small ones is low and the big ones are expensive so it is worth having a separate drinking water tap. After putting your current problem to rest they are a good solution to the tastes you will invariably encounter when filling your tank from sources outside the metropolitan area. The locals in Thargominda for instance think anyone drinking less than 3% sulphur should be wearing a skirt. These should not be used for filling tanks as they remove chlorine from the water which leaves it vulnerable to bacterial contamination in the tank.
AnswerID: 90973

Reply By: ev700 - Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:11

Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:11
This might be a bit way out......

We used to get well water tested.

Any labs in your State that could test? Might resolve a fight or find the source that way.
AnswerID: 90979

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 08:56

Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 08:56
Hi Gregr,

It was my post that suggested using lemon essence, as recommended by the manufacturer of our CT. You use one bottle of lemon essence in your water tank, fill it with water and leave it for about 24 hours, drain the tank and refill it with good water. You may still have a very slight lemon taste, but that is much better than the awful chemical taste. The suggestions of vinegar etc were all tried by us but nothing worked except the lemon essence. I now keep a bottle in the food box and if the tank has been tainted in some way we just repeat the treatment with effect. Mind you if the water is clean but just awful tasting the lemon essence won't work!

Hope this works for you too.
Happy travels
Anni
AnswerID: 90983

Follow Up By: Glenn D - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 00:17

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 00:17
Hows it going,
Ever thought that lemon essence will just mask the flavour of either contaminated equipment or bad water.

Vinegar or acetic acid actually kills bacteria in potable water systems , it is safe to use in any concentration, and doesnt leave any aftertaste after sufficient flushing.

Cheers Glenn
FollowupID: 349629

Follow Up By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:05

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:05
Hi Glenn,

You are of course absolutely right. I should have said that you need to check your water lines and tank and ensure that they are not contaminated and that they are made of food grade plastics, and that you are using good potable water. I may mistakenly have thought that Greg had already done that. However, once you have done all that, and perhaps treated them with vinegar for exactly the reasons you outline, and you STILL have an awful, plastic, chemical flavour then the lemon essence will work a treat. It certainly isn't intended to treat the water, though lemon essence is quite high in alcohol and probably wouldn't do any harm.

Cheers
Anni
FollowupID: 349678

Reply By: gforse - Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 11:16

Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 11:16
hi bud i have used milton baby sol it is great.had a bad bore water problem poured a bottle down it and no more problem best of luck garry
AnswerID: 90993

Reply By: Nudenut - Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 17:40

Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 17:40
I am wondering if gregr is watching these replies
I believe he is really peeved off with a reply to this post earlier ....hope not but if he is .....too bad! hehehe
AnswerID: 91015

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:13

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:13
Bleach it!!!
Put a couple of caps full of bleach in the water. Leave for an hour or two. Drain and refill.
AnswerID: 91090

Reply By: gregr - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:38

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:38
thanks to those of you who replied to me with useful suggestion and helpful comments

i have tried the lemon essence which worked ok for a day or so but the bad taste is now back

i have decided to give the camper back to kimberely kampers ( manufacturer) and qld camper trailers (their agents) to fix under warranty and firmly suggested by email they now replace the ss tank plus both pumps and all hoses and sort the bl**dy prob out - and thanks big bo for you comments

also i will fit the small charcoal filter in the hoses in the future which seems like a great idea to me and thanks lindsay and rick for that suggestion

in summary
the problem appears to be in the hoses
as the water from the ss tank taste ok
and we always fill the tank using blue type food grade hoses
the water from the hand tap always taste like crap
and from the electric pump sometimes a bad taste but other times not so bad

we will see if kimberley can fix it this time

once again thanks to those who responded with useful suggestion
see you and all the best in 05
my regards greg
AnswerID: 91093

Sponsored Links