new pajero diesel - need to know how to-

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1899 Views:3033 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi getting my first diesel truck pajero did exceed and want to breed a good trade in for three years from now.

How should i run her in - i intend to tow my 17' caravan.

How do i look after the paintwork and how soon from new can i polish to protect.

How do i wash enjin bay - only had petrol motors before and needed a lot of care - what about diesel motors and water.

Been told to change oil and filter every 7000 k - should i use synthetic oil ?

What else can you advise me - how to care for leather seats ?

please email if possible pw@alphalink.com.au thanks and regards peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lux - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
Just drive it mate and sevice it every 5,000km.....Lux
AnswerID: 6316

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
Read your handbook. Drive carefully for a thousand or so. Cover the seats with lambswool. Wash it once a year or when it gets dirty (whichever comes first). Sorry to tell you but the trade in in three years won't be great. Best trade in from Toyota but they cost more initially.
AnswerID: 6320

Reply By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Pete, my brother cared for and worried over his fourby all the time he had it, and I always wondered why, who was he looking after it for, himself or the next bloke who might buy it. It detracted a lot from the enjoyment of owning the thing. I agree with Lux... just change oil every 5 grand, and enjoy. Who knows with a bit of extra effort you might even break it!!! Doubt it though. :) Oh and because it hasn't rained here for about 5 yrs, I have had to wash mine once.
AnswerID: 6341

Reply By: CLIVEB - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
CHECK THE FUEL FILLER BEFORE YOU TRAVEL IN THE OUTBACK.
RECENTLY MET A CHAP ON THE STUART HWY,MOST DISTRESED,THE FUEL NOZZLE ON THE TRUCK DIESEL PUMP WOULD NOT FIT IN THE HOLE.
HE HAD TO BUY A FUNNEL TO FILL THE VEHICLE AT THE ONLY PUMP, A HIGH FLOW TRUCK FILL TYPE WITH LARGER DIAM HOSE.
AnswerID: 6357

Reply By: Dazmit - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
Peter

As the others have suggested just drive it to run it in & don't tow for the first 1 000km. Don't worry about synthetic oil & just keep it in reasonable condition. In my experience at trade in time it makes virtually no differance to your price what extras or whether it is in as new condition or good condition - It only gives the dealer more profit when they sell it.Most of the trade in prices are just out of the Red Book.
Sorry to disappoint you but trade in prices are usually poor eg from experience a 2 YO Mitsu Challenger with extras , 28 000km In excellent condition had a retail price of $45 000 best trade in was $26 000 ,sold it privately for $28 500. It doesn't help that Mitsu seem to have a policy of continually discounting their vehicles 12 - 18 mths after launch.

So the morale of the story is to go out & enjoy it & not pamper it just for the next owner.
AnswerID: 6380

Reply By: Tim - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002 at 00:00
Peter, Fact is that your Pajero resale calculated as a percentage of purchase price will be around 60% at the three year mark with the two best in this category being L/C & Patrol @ 63% and yes its a fact that Land Cruisers are more valueable for resale but they cost more initially too! - Good luck and enjoy your new car, Regards Tim
AnswerID: 6521

Sponsored Links