2003 Patrol GU DashBoard Rattle

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 21:37
ThreadID: 19014 Views:4524 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
HI there,

I have been trolling thru a few forums (incl this one) and have seen a few postings on front rattles/noises in the Patrol....

Noise 1 : run over any bump in the road and it "seems" that the dash and the windshield rub... makes a .. bashing noise .. a definate thud

Noise 2: rattle/squeak on the driver side, apears to come from air vent or foor frame - cant islolate which

Noise 3: ABS bag bolts were loose.... have had them tightend back up... so so for now

I am not 100% convinced of the bonnet/hinge scenario for noise 1, but willing to take a gander....

Any one have any of the above please post solutions if any.. or just post to let me know, maybe we can get some Nissan interest.

Thanks in advance
Slug
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dano01 - Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 22:37

Sunday, Jan 02, 2005 at 22:37
I also have a vibration/rattle behind my dash. I have a 1998 gu patrol but have not yet been able to pin point it. I only seem to get it when i am stop at idle on a incline. If you find anything let us know and i finally track it down i'll post it here.

Good luck
dano
AnswerID: 91037

Reply By: RLNOMAD - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 12:19

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 12:19
Had an annoying one for awhile , found it to be my dual battery gizmo just touching the underside of bonnet , could not believe how far the actual cause of the sound was from where I thought it was coming from.
AnswerID: 91083

Reply By: handyandy - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:31

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 14:31
Hey

I to have the very same rattle , have pulled dash to bits trying to find ,try checking bonnet for side to side movent , good luck
AnswerID: 91102

Reply By: Kings - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 18:40

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 18:40
I have a Dec 2003 GU ST-L and I experienced a number of rattles related to the roof "canopy" bows that came away from the outer skin. It was fixed by Unley Nissan without a problem. That was a kind of oil can rattle.

I have also had a squeak from the front LHS. That was easy. I adjusted the rubber bump stops under the front of the bonnet.

I also had a squeak/rattle coming from around the radio. I found that i could fix that by putting a comb down into the join between the bottom of the dash and the centre console. When I got my radio fitted the cable went in the same area, so I did away with the comb.

I still have a kind of fluttering noise from the headliner/ visor area on the passenger side. It is intermittent, but annoys my wife! I will get the dealer to look at it at the next (30000) service.

I fixed up another rattle today. It had been bothering us for a few weeks. It turned out to be a screwdriver that had come out of the tool roll and lodged in a gap between the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx (outback _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and fridge slide).

It is useful to drive around some back roads and try to listen and imagine what might be causing the noise. ( A bit like "secret sounds" on the radio).

When I have had the car in for service I write a description of the noise so that the service manager doesn't get his own idea about what you are trying to describe. Unley Nissan (Adelaide SA) have been very good.

I had a 2002 Pathfinder for nearly two years and took it offroad everywhere. It didn't have a single rattle or squeak!

Good Luck.
AnswerID: 91133

Follow Up By: Slug32 - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 19:34

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 19:34
HI there

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have the fluttering noise from the headliner/rear view mirror area, drives me nuts too...

I have called a few Nissan Dealers here in Sydney and no one wants to know that you have a problem and the quote "Rattles are not covered in warrenty" makes me livid. I have 5k to my 30k service, maybe I will have some joy there.

How can I tell if the roof canopy is causing the rattles?

Cheers
FollowupID: 349713

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:38

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:38
Slug,

you wouldn't happen to be running cables between the roof and the head lining as they will rattle. I have one running to a hands free mic. I don't hear it rattle. BIL has a roof console and the cables running to the radio rattle up there!

Leroy
FollowupID: 349781

Follow Up By: Kings - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 23:04

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 23:04
Slug,

Apparently there are two or three roof canopy bows that hold the roof up and hold the headliner taught. There is a bed of sealant that goes between the bows and the roof. In a few production models the amount of sealant is too little and it comes away after a short period of driving. My roof was drumming after about 1000K. The dealer removed the headliner and reset the bows but they gave way again. They reset them again a few days later but kept the vehicle overnight to allow the sealant to set. I have had no problems since then.

I mentioned the fluttering noise to them at the 20000k service, but because they couldn't hear the noise they were unable to do anything. (I don't think they wanted to remove the headliner for a third time! Actually I didn't pursue them on this because I have rarely heard the noise myself. My wife's hearing is more acute!

Overall I am very pleased with the vehicle and I am especially pleased with the dealer's after sales service. We have driven the Oodnadatta track and off road tracks through the Flinders. Given the large amount of corrugations it's a wonder it doesn't have more rattles! The Pathfinder was a more sophisticated vehicle (TI) but had no range and was too thirsty when towing the camper.

Kings
FollowupID: 349911

Reply By: Matho - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 22:49

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 22:49
Just a thought, but you can try a high end sound system installer. When they install a sound system with mega bass, they'll hunt out all the rattles and put a stop to them.
regards Matho
AnswerID: 91193

Reply By: Marko - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:16

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:16
G'day

Not sure if this will help but I had an e-tag installed in the center of the windscreen (it'll make sense if your from VIC). It rattled and sounded like it was coming from everywhere but there. Bugged me for 6 months till one day by accident i touched it whilst rattling and it stopped. Now the stupid thing sits in the glovebox till i need it.
AnswerID: 91221

Reply By: Slug32 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 13:18

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 13:18
Thanks again for the replies guys,

To answer a few questions...

No cabling installed, rattles have been there since purchase and stock standard set-up.

I am trying to create a rattles/solutions matrix for the Patrol owners who seem to be suffering more than most. Once it has grown a bit I will contact Nissan here in Sydney to see what can be done

Cheers
AnswerID: 91268

Sponsored Links