under tray battery mount

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1902 Views:6548 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a Hilux single cab with a drop side tray, I would like to know if anyone has mounted a 2nd battery under the tray behind the cab and if there is a box or bracket type setup availible. my thanks.......Lux
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Lux.... I have that exact setup that u speak of. It seems to work very well. I built a box out of (i think) 12 guage steel. The box itself is totally sealed when the door on the side of it is closed, and I have 2 outdoor cig lighter sockets set into the side of the box so that I have no need to open up when I want power. The location of the box in this area allows good access, I live in the bush on gravel roads, corro's etc and have had no trouble. I put a bit of rubber to cushion battery etc. As far as attachment, my tray had two struts as part of the framework of the tray, these were spaced wide enough to allow me to extend the top of the box and attach straight onto them. I have a box on the other side of the vehicle for recovery gear tools etc. The area seems to allow enough room to very easily take a box big enough, and the bottom of the box is still well above the roadway. Hope this helps..Des
AnswerID: 6339

Follow Up By: Les - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Des, That's a good idea, did you have the steel bent or formed or was it cut up and welded together, I was thinking of making a frame then covering it with sheet gal tin but using plate will be the way to go..thank you...Les
FollowupID: 2814

Reply By: Member - Des - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
Les.. I cut out and welded the boxes. I felt that the least amount of moveable bits the better. Pop rivets bolts pins etc all seem to wear and come loose over time, then they rattle. I am a blacksmith, (full time) so the boxes were no real trouble, I made a closing device on them very simlar to that which you would find on the back of a food delivery van, where the handle is turned and acts like a cam. This kept all my locking an closing arrangement up on top of the box, away from rocks stones and other nasties. It also allows very solid locking/closing and it will not move, and therefore dosen't rattle. Good luck....Des
AnswerID: 6381

Follow Up By: Les - Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks again Des, you've put me on the right track, Ill start on it this week, the handle idea great. take care....Les
FollowupID: 2831

Sponsored Links