electronic navigation

Submitted: Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:45
ThreadID: 19026 Views:2562 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All, I travel via motorcycle, generally average 30,000 kms per year. I carry an Apple ibook that links nicely via bluetooth to a pocket PC (iPaq 1940) Most map software I can locate is for micro$oft. I'm considering one of the new SDIO bluetooth GPS units, which wont be a problem on the pocket PC but has anyone experience with MAC compatability? Maptrax seems to support MAC (as they should! :-) And the "lappy" is for backup only, or perhaps route planning of night.
so to reiterate would I be able to utilise the MAC?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BurnieM - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:46
There is not a lot available for Mac

OziExplorerCE will get you a moving map display and let you use most scanned or commercially available maps. However you need the PC version of OziExplorer to generate the map files.

CoPilot will give you 'turn by turn' autorouting on your PocketPC (with their proprietory maps) but rural coverage on these maps tends to be main highways. A new version is due out in March? and should be a bit better in rural areas.

Personally, I would not use a PDA on a motorcycle due to moisture and vibration issues but some do mounting the PDA in a tank bag (it is not easy to read while underway tho).

I would use one of Garmin or Magellans dedicated GPS receivers with we Garmins MapSource ot Magellans Maps and Streets GPS loadable maps.
Both mapping products need a windows PC (or VirtualPC) to load but a dedicated GPS retailer should be able to load it for you (for free).
AnswerID: 91315

Follow Up By: BurnieM - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:49

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:49
You might want to ask your question on the Adventure Rider Forum;
http://www.advrider.com/forums/
FollowupID: 349871

Reply By: adventure biker - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:52

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:52
Thanks all, I was losing hope in getting help! Being a smoker the opportunity to pull over to read the _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx will do fine! Don't like taking the eyes off the road for long anyway, which has probably contributed to my riding history of 30 reasonably safe years!
I'll go the Pocket PC option, it tends to hold up well in small crashes/dust and creek crossings and gives me email access etc. on the road. The iPod is great for entertainment also! wouldn't travel without one!
Thanks again!
AnswerID: 91412

Sponsored Links