Why take your spare keys?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 13:36
ThreadID: 19059 Views:2515 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After our lovely holiday down South of WA I finally had my somewhat anal fascination with carring my spare keys with us justified. Mind you they were half an hours drive away (in our challet) but that was better than back at home on the kitchen bench! :-P

Among other things like, fishing, swiming, visiting brewies etc etc we decided to go for a sail on a friends Surf Cat. After a lovely time out on the sea with a little swim in the ocean while un tangling a rope from one of the rudders I realised that in all my wisdom I had left the car keys in my pocket. With imboliser remote and all.... Ooooops.
unbelivably after being suburged in salty water and sitting in the sun for a couple of hours to dry out it still worked. We got back to the challet later on that afternoon when it subsiquentally died and the spare ones were very useful.

I have since managed to get the other one working with some care, contact cleaner and CRC, but just thought it was worth sharing! :-)

PS We had an absolute ball, hope everyone else had a good break too!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 14:15

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 14:15
Yep I always carry spare keys in the vehicle when travelling coz lost keys out in the middle of nowhere is as bad as any breakdown. Also knowing the code of your immobalizer can be handy
AnswerID: 91277

Reply By: Rocky M QLD - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 17:01
Hi to all,spare keys are a good idea and spare credit card hiden in a very special place can ease the grief if a wallet happens to get lost because an honest face may not help fill the tank.all the best regard Dave
AnswerID: 91297

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:11

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:11
I wasnt using my wallet much along the grr so I popped it under the seat - nice and safe but the vibratuions pulled out a yellow wallet from within which contained both plastic money cards liscence etc etc and made a bee line for the door when I jumped out to help 2 lassies with a flat. Got to drysdale river station filled up and no cards thank goodness for the $200 cash I withdrew as backup at fitzroy crossing. Also no anz bank at Kunnnunura to beg money off of ended up money sent to me by post office transfer by mum (doesnt matter how old you get you still need em). btw cards were found and using my liscense addresss beat me home by about 3 weeks
FollowupID: 349857

Reply By: Member - Brian (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:15

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:15
I have just got a spare battery for mine.they are on the original batts dont know how long they will last.but yes I would hate to be out bush and its goes dead.
cheers brian
AnswerID: 91304

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 23:27

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 23:27
Always take two sets of keys with me, one so as SWMBO can get back to the car and have the heater going and the car warm by the time I struggle back with her shoe purchases....... Also means we both have access.

Just bought another car, it has an immobiliser and one key one plastic thingy for the immobiliser too, so if we lose them then roll it down the driveway and drive around it....
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 91361

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:44
Normally the spare set of keys is inside the car when you lose the original lot!!!!
AnswerID: 91396

Reply By: lazylcd - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 00:47

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 00:47
ive found that when traveling in a group of cars, give ur spare to 1 of the other drivers to keep wherever, and you keep theres, that way you never lock your spare set in your car,

just a thought

Lazy
AnswerID: 91708

Sponsored Links