Bushcamping within 1 hour of Melbourne

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 15:27
ThreadID: 19063 Views:22311 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Maybe this is a wishful request because if you have a great place to camp so close to Melbourne you may not want to share but...we a family of seven are looking for bush camping within about an hour of north west of Melbourne. I'm thinking towards Wombat State Forest or up towards Yea. We need to be able to take our dog.

Wishfully waiting

Di
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 15:49

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 15:49
Hi Di

As far as I know, you can take your dog to Wombat provided it is restrained, camping is good at firth park and there is a toilet block there [flushing loos - when they're working :) ]

We bushed camped at a spot over christmas, which was about 10kms from Castlemaine, not sure if you'd be interested in that, but if you'd like to email me I can give you some details, click on my rig pic for the email addy,

We also checked out a bush camp near Seymour, called Major Creek Reserve, free with drop toilets these places are all listed in a book called Camps Australia Wide 2, avail here and book stores or from their website www.campsaustraliawide.com

Lyn
AnswerID: 91290

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:57
yeah Wombat forest would be the go, if you want a spot with loos, then lyns idea would be the go, but if you want 'dig it yourself' then there are plenty of nice spots along the various creeks , just tour around till you find one you like. Head in firth road from bullengarook, left up obriens rd and check out the tracks from there. I just came back through there from a mates place at Dales creek yesterday and there were quite a few large groups of bike riders camped along obriens on the west side , but the east side looked pretty quiet.
AnswerID: 91352

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 23:32

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 23:32
Not the direction you specified but there's good bush camping north of Moe - O'Toole's Flat is one of several sites. Drop toilets. 4WD access only.
AnswerID: 91363

Follow Up By: BigO- Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:34

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:34
Hi Mick,
Where is O'Tooles Flat? I'm from Hazelwood North and have always headed off around Heyfield, Locola etc. I would like to try a differant spot.
Thanks,
Owen
FollowupID: 349959

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 20:48

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 20:48
BigO
If you have OziExplorer and a GPS I can email you the relevant tracks and waypoints - Just got back from the O'Tooles Flat area today.
FollowupID: 350380

Reply By: Marko - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:02

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:02
Hi Di,

When we go for a day or two we head up to Big River State Forest near Marysville. More NE of Melbourne but takes about an hour. Heaps of spots, isolated from others, no facilities at most and dogs are ok! Don't bother during school holidays or long weekends unless you can get up there a day or two before everyone else.
AnswerID: 91378

Reply By: Happy GU Owner - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:50

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:50
Di,

There are many wonderful spots just out of Melb, in the NW, including Lerdederg, Wombat, Campaspe river.

In the North, the Goulburn river, Flowerdale, Kinglake, etc.

In the NE, Murrindindi, a lovely little spot on the Murrindindi river just 20 klms NW of Yea, which is accessable by 2wd easily, Cathedral Ranges (probably where I would head, nice grassy spots on the banks of icy, crystal clear streams), Big River is an absolutly beautiful spot just a little further on (1 - 3 hours depending where you are coming from), etc.

Even down to Bunyip State Forest in the SE.

Can you provide more information, as to whether you are driving a Commodore and you just want a nice camping spot or as to whether you want to get to the most isolated spot possible in a 4wd? Where you are coming from, as it can take an hour just to cross from one side of Melb to the other? This will make providing the right information for you a lot easier.

Mic
AnswerID: 91386

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:15

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:15
The Otways, but ya cant take der pooch.

Check the book section of this site, theres a book "Camping with dogs" shows you where you can and cant take hounds
AnswerID: 91390

Reply By: Ditat - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:09

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:09
Thanks for all your replies...they have been wonderful.

We are heading out from around Broadmeadows...we have a Tarrago...five kids...and a german shepherd dog...and a kitten we have just acquired..hmmm..not sure what we'll do with him.

In response to Mic, we want somewhere as isolated as possible we can get to in a Tarrago, hehehe.

I know, I know, we can't have everything.

Thanks again everyone.

Di
AnswerID: 91416

Reply By: Member - Russell S - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 14:17

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 14:17
I know of a spot that might be OK for you. email offline at russell.schoenfisch@defence.gov.au
AnswerID: 91430

Reply By: Stuart - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:01

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:01
Try Mount Franklin between Castlemaine and Dalesford. Beautiful place in summer, lt is an extinct volcano, driving up there it looks like a pine plantation, but when you enter the creator it is like somthing out of a fairy tale! There are toilets there as well, l am sure you can take your dog but l think you will have to take water. If you need more info let me know.
Regards......Stuart
AnswerID: 91502

Sponsored Links