Travel time Alice to Birdsville

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:01
ThreadID: 19067 Views:2369 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Could some of you more travelled folk be able to give me an idea of how long the trip is from Alice to Birdsville in driving time, I know there are variations with weather and so on, but a rough guide during dry times would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Browny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:15

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:15
Sorry All,

Probably a silly question, www.travelmate.com.au suggest 1200k and 14.5 hours, much further than I was thinking................

Moderators feel free to delete.........(asap) :-)

Browny
AnswerID: 91305

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:26

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 18:26
RAOFLMAO>>>>>>>I'd like to see the state of any vehicle that did the trip in 14.5 hours!!!!

It's not a silly question at all............I'd be allowing at least 4 days and even then it'd be a rushed trip.

All that assumes you're going via the Simpson? There are alternatives, such as the Plenty Hwy into Qld, then turn right and head south.
Or you could travel down the Stuart Hwy to Coober Pedy, William Creek, Marree and up the Birdsville Track.............so many choices.
FollowupID: 349858

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:08

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 19:08
Hi Browny,

I agree with Roachie, more info would assist, as in what way are you intending on travelling?

I have crossed the Plenty Hwy, as well as the Simpson.

If you are in a rush, you could get there in 2 days via the Plenty (camping at Jervois or Tobermorey) to Boulia then south to Birdsville. Beware though as the Plenty/Donahue Hwys can be severely corrugated so I would suggest two days to get to Boulia. Fuel is also expensive at Tobermorey.

If you are going via the Simpson, I would allow possibly 6 to seven days to enjoy the adventure.

My website has my trip notes on both trips.... 4wdadventureoz

Cheers and enjoy
FollowupID: 349866

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:11
Thanks Glen,

I'll have a look at your site.

Browny
FollowupID: 349873

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:04

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 20:04
HeHe,

Thanks fellas, Travelmate.com says the Plenty hwy to Boulia then south along the Developmental rd to Birdsville, is both shortest & quickest?

Thanks Roachie, as each time I've used Travelmate in the past (blacktop) I've found the times to be generous.

The full story is that I have a few mates that have charterd a plain (small) from Melbourne and flown to the Birdsville for the races, but apparently with fuel stops and passenger pick ups along the way it was a trip in excess of 12 hrs, after work the other night while consuming a few Chrissy/ New Year drinks it was thought that maybe they could catch a direct flight to Alice and a few of us that wanted to do the road trip could maybe drive on up and "pick" them up and bring them back to Birdsville for the races!!!........Yeah great I thought, surely a solid days driving would cover it..............DOH!

I would have been one of those unfortunate casualties that you read about, generaly from Europe somewhere though.

Browny
AnswerID: 91317

Sponsored Links