fridge battery

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 21:44
ThreadID: 19070 Views:1966 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can I charge a gel battery directly from an auxillery socket to run my engel fridge without doing dammage to my electrical system ? any Clues ? cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:12

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:12
Emmet

More info might be helpful............

Where do you plan to locate the gel battery?
What type of auxillary socket are you talking about?
Do you plan to incorporate a isolating solenoid?
What type of vehicle?

My suggestion is to use heavy cable (min 8mm) from isolator to the gel battery. If, by "auxillery socket", you mean the cigi lighter socket, I think you will find they have a very small amount of current carrying capacity and should only be used for powering small accessories; not for charging a 2nd battery of any type.

Do the job right in the 1st instance and you won't have to be mucking about with it for a long time.
AnswerID: 91344

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:27

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:27
Not an ideal situation to charge like that. The wire size to a standard auxillery socket is generally too small to take the full charge when the battery is flat & may just result in blowing the fuse. Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 91347

Reply By: David Au - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:31

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2005 at 22:31
No, not at all advisable.
Auxiliary sockets are usually fused to a maximum of 10 amps and have suitable wiring for around a 5 amp load.
Get a proper sized cable and plug system fitted - preferably Anderson style plugs $20.00 a pair.
AnswerID: 91349

Reply By: Chaz - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:20

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:20
Emmet

Despite what many people say, I have been doing it for years, with no problems.
However there are a few things to consider. Firstly gell cell batterys need to be stored in a cool place eg. anywhere BUT under the bonnet. Also you must keep the charge rate around 13.3 volts and the current should be well under 10 amps.
I built a 13.3 volt regulator with parts from Jaycar for around $15 that does the job and it plugs into a cigarett lighter socket, that so far hasn't blown a five amp fuse.
The batterys are in the back of the wagon and power my waeco FF70 for two days in moderate weather and it takes around six hours of driving to bring the batterys up again.

Chaz
AnswerID: 91391

Sponsored Links