Lake eyre

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:38
ThreadID: 19080 Views:1740 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking for weather info on the salt flats. Mainly wind speed /direction as we have built a wind wagon circa 120bc and wish to sail it across the Lake.
This is based on biblical writings and was used to transport people across the Gobi desert in Mancuria.
Our email is bob@tinker.com.au
Any info or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:39

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:39
do you have a website sounds very interesting
AnswerID: 91404

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:41

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:41
Just a question on the wind wagon. Does the 120bc model have the rear wheels at 2 cubits diameter and the front wheel at 1.5cubits. From memory, the 115bc model had all wheels the same diameter. Can you change the wheel width to gain extra footprint as I guess deflating the solid timber wheel would take some time.
Can you fit a lift kit?
Seriously if you search through the Bureau of Meteoroligy web site, there are figures there but I can't remember the exact url.
AnswerID: 91444

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:26

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:26
www.bom.gov.au
FollowupID: 350015

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:53

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:53
Lake Eyre is a National Park so don't forget to seek permission to go offroad.
Try this page at the BOM.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/wind/selection_map.shtml
Nearest wind Rose is at Marree. As access around Lake Eyre is very limited possibly some of the other salt lakes such as Lake Gairdner (Ford Adds) may be easier to get near.
Look forward to watching your adventure on Discovery channel & not another helicopter rescue on channel 9 ;-)
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 91467

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:09
a few years ago a guy had a writeup in australian geographic coz he towed a sled south pole style over a fair area of the lake seeing as he kept mentioning the astounding feeling of isolation I dont think there was much to see but it still had some strange appeal.
I have no idea what a wind wagon is but will it perform in boggy areas? as well as I think sled man found it wasnt neccessarily all hard packed
AnswerID: 91471

Reply By: CruiserHead - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:27

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:27
Your first port of call should definitely be the Lake Eyre Yacht Club (yes, it does exist!). See under:
http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/

Keep in mind that Lake Eyre North is a national park, and "driving" on the lke is strictly prohibited. Also, LE north has a lot of mud under a thin salt crust, and you will sink in with your vehicle (you can't even walk on it most of the times!). Lake Eyre South might be the better option, less river entering it hence less mud under the salt. You might want to try one pf the other salt lakes (Frome, Torrens) before venturing into LE.

If LE is your choice, try the William Creek Hotel (08 8670 7880) or Trevor Writght of Wrights Air (08 8670 7962) in William Creek. Trev will have a lot of local info for you, especially on the weather and wind conditions. See also http://www.wrightsair.com.au/

Good Luck with your adventure, but be prepared!
AnswerID: 91546

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)