Becoming a member

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:26
ThreadID: 19090 Views:2927 Replies:18 FollowUps:53
This Thread has been Archived
After 6 or so months of lurking and freeloading from this site i was thinking about becoming a member.
What are the advantages of being a member and forking out $50 of hard earned money?
Dont take this the wrong way people.But the site is so slow.People expecially non members seem to have fun rubbishing most posts.There seems to be a lack of moderation on the posts that waste time on what i would call Rubbish.
So come on people what are the good points of splashing out my money?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:31

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:31
If you think the comments are rubbish, save your $50.00 and keep lurking. If you can't get $50.00 of advise or information plus the entertainment value from here your very hard to please.
AnswerID: 91443

Follow Up By: 80seriesrule - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:44
If you think the comments are rubbish, save your $50.00 and keep lurking.
I never said all the posts are rubish.I just think a lot of the rubbish could be removed.
FollowupID: 350019

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:44
Hi 80seriesrule
Its great to see you are thinking of joining, it is a nice gesture if you do.

Apart from the monetary and other reasons Juliana explains below, I personally dont know where else you would get the depth of information you can recieve from this site for free.

ExplorOz may not be perfect.
Is anything free perfect?
(Ahhh Yes - that Kayak trip I did down the Noosa River last week was perfect and free!! - hmmm)

If you havnt yet explored the site thoroughly Check for out for free our fuel prices - trek notes and fuel consumption figures for most treks in Australia (Trip Planning Vehicle Requirements and Business Search engine.) - . Ive done trips I normally would put in the too hard basket logistically, but did them because all the info I needed was on the site.

You would be supporting the site - improvments, new features and research of offroad options. Saves you from doing it yourself by trial and error.

Becoming a member is also saying you support this site and the work it does. Staying a member helps ensure it stays the best site of its kind in Australia. (Check out our site stats - we are consistantly in the top 10 sites in Australia in its categories. In our shop we are Number 3 in Australia - so if you buy maps and books on the web you'll love the shop.)

We have all come to accept the web a a great free resource and it should be so, however I think its obvious that this site is a great asset to offroading and a major cost saver for anybody planning to explore any part of Australia.

Becoming members will only make it get better and better.

When you consider the site gets 15 million hits per month from Australia and overseas - you realise how popular it is - Explor Oz is only in its infancy so lets look to what is possible for the future - the community and culture it fosters,- where is all that heading? -- (and we havn't even been on National TV yet).

Also consider the gap that would be there if the site didnt exist..............{:-(

The best endorsments are from those who have posted below.

hope this helps provide another perspective.
cheers
Kerry

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 350078

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:46

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:46
I finally joined coz I had $50 I didnt know what else to do with. Also you get to put cool pictures on your profile oh and you get a sticker! as for rubishing posts there is wheat and chaff and school goes back in 3 weeks doesnt it jonno1
AnswerID: 91445

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:55

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 16:55
Membership advantages are listed above....Members/About Membership
Read it and decide for yourself. It's up to you which part you want to play in this community.
AnswerID: 91446

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:03

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:03
Hi 80SeriesRule,

For more information on what you get as a member have a look at the items under the Members Tab on the blue navigation menu above. As a member you get better facilities on ExplorOz (inluding members rig pics, photo gallery, Membermoney, Free freight on Member Qualifying products with a total of over $60 in the Adventure Shop just to name a few). You then also get rewards from our advertisers, which vary depending on what the business is. It might include a discount or a free item when you buy something from them.

What do you mean by "the site is so slow"?

Also, If you don't think a post/reply/followup meets our Terms of Use, we request that you email us (info@ExplorOz.com) with the post ID and we will look at it and deal with it appropriately. We do our best with the moderation, but we aren't on here 24hours a day and we don't read every reply/followup that is posted.

Hope this answers your questions,
Regards,
Juliana
ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 91449

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:07

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:07
TANSTAAFL here mate.

Theer aint no such thing as a free loader here. Almost everyone joins in, its what coming here is about, if you want to get involved in a group its about two way, give and take. So decide what you have gotten from looking around here, I have received more than my membership fee time and time again in savongs and advice.

Yer you see the baggers, but you take each comment with a grain of salt. One knows who to listen to and who to ignore, but I have found that even in the deepest of baggfests, there is some info that I either didnt know or needed to know.

make up your own mind.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 91450

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:24

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:24
Its a small price to pay for the great people you get to meet, supporting an great OZ website and information on anything you need, 4wd related or not.
If the site is slow, why have you been lurking for 6 months or so.
"There seems to be a lack of moderation on the posts that waste time on what i would call Rubbish" - and it is people like yourself who post them.....
AnswerID: 91452

Follow Up By: 80seriesrule - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:42

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:42
"There seems to be a lack of moderation on the posts that waste time on what i would call Rubbish" - and it is people like yourself who post them.....
This is a classic example of what im talking about.
When i say rubbish ill give you an example of what im talking about not all posts are rubbish i never said that.
Also what i forgot to mention is people like your self who jump the gun and let there fingers fly before the brain gets into gear.
eg.Im looking at going solar.Type solar into search and theres plenty there lately from people like Aland mrs al/jimbo about solar.Go read them posts and you will see what i mean about rubbish/moderation you have to read through all the rubish in a post to find the pieces that are usefull.I dont mean the whole post is rubbish.I know people have there own ideas on things but read the post and you will know what i mean.
Lighten up man lifes to short to STRESS.
FollowupID: 350018

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:30

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:30
Hi 80seriesrule
I apologise if I jumped in too quick, but your clarification is a better explanation then your above quote. I also had my reasons as to why to join. The rubbish is always going to appear on public forums, but in general, you will always find want you are looking for.
I can ensure you, I am stress free.
See you in the high country, love it up there.
FollowupID: 350058

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 23:10

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 23:10
Hi Crazie,I agree a 100% with you .Ive meet great people on this forum and the information Ive got over the years ,is well worth the 50$
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 351127

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:29

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:29
G'day 80seriesrule,

I certainly agree with your signature, as I too own an 80 Series and know how good it is.

As to your post, I was a member for 2 years, and bought a lot from the shop. However, the most I got out of this site was the friendships that I have gained in meeting up with a lot of members and non members. You can read some notes on a couple of our meetings in Vic and SA on my site 4wdadventureoz. I did not renew my membership as I have found that there is too many repitious posts, too much moderation, and a lack of fun on the forum. This didn't used to be the case, but it is now. If you want to spend the money it is up to you, but I dont think that being able to send and receive member messages, post a rig pic, gain member money is worth $50 for the first year.

A couple of questions for you:
Where are you based?
What are your interests as far as 4wdriving go?
Do you enjoy get togethers?

You do not need to be a member to meet up with others and do day trips, weekend trips, and even longer trips. You do not need to be a member to read the forum nor contribute to it. Keep your money, or better still donate it to a charity, that way your hard earned money will mean more to you and others.

Cheers
AnswerID: 91453

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:39

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:39
I have to concur, the friendships formed as a result of us being members of this site have been priceless and the gatherings and trips away sensational, whether it's worth renewing our membership each year time will tell.....

Lyn
FollowupID: 350017

Follow Up By: 80seriesrule - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:08

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:08
Hi there Glenn.
Your certainly right about the cruisers.Fine vehicle.
I live over Dandenong way.
I run a computer software company so im pretty busy most of the time.
When i do get time off i like to head up the high country for some r&r.
Its usually only me who goes away as the kids arnt into the camping thing.
I just had a look at your site what a fantastic job your doing.
I think i need a little more time there.
I had a look at your Robe notes sounds like a great time could be had with the members/non members.
I must say i have to laugh at some of the names people use.
whats the go with The Fat Controller.Muddy.Brew and diamond where do they come up with theese .
Any way still thinking about that $50 .
FollowupID: 350022

Follow Up By: diamond - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:15

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:15
hay watch out there 80series.
diamond happens to be my daughters name.
FollowupID: 350023

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:25

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:25
The Fat Controller sounds like my missus.....what's she doing on here.
FollowupID: 350026

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:33

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:33
Hi 80seriesrule,

Dandenong is close to a few of us, maybe we can catch up for a BBQ some time. High Country is a great place to go for a drive, lots of great tracks and sights to see.

How old are your kids? I have two, Cassie is 15 (who HATES camping) and James is 7 (who LOVES camping).

Thanks for your comments on my site, I hope it wasn't too slow for you.

Yeh some of the group have funny names, and most have funny personalities as well...in fact wait until you meet us...lol.

Have fun making up your mind.

Cheers
FollowupID: 350029

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:36
yer I get a laugh out of the user names here too..........80seriesrule hahahahahahahahah

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 350030

Follow Up By: diamond - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:46
yes your right there bonz.
we all know patrols rule.
FollowupID: 350033

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:55
Ok now personal digs at nicknames??????????? Lucky u drive an 80 series so we laugh at you.
FollowupID: 350035

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:41

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:41
80seriesrule,

PAY UP MATE! You will help keep the "community" viable, besides anything else.

Good information is all that is required from the Forum and most of the contributors, both members and visitors alike, are knowledgeable about "something".
There is the occasional "wanker" of course and unfortunately their bent is to be controversial. One learns who to ignore and who to respond to and eventually they go elsewhere, one way or another.

Overall, it is for you to decide on the value of the $50 membership. You won't be ostracized by anyone even if you don't decide to join.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 91455

Follow Up By: Mainey... - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:59

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:59
80seriesrule,
(Quote) "People expecially non members seem to have fun rubbishing most posts.There seems to be a lack of moderation on the posts that waste time on what i would call Rubbish" (end quote)

From a non member, I would suggest the term "rubbishing most posts" may be a tad over the top, said nicely, :) also I assure you the site is well moderated as can be seen by checking out the recent "solar sun hours" post by 0zi, he referred to me as a 'wanker' as I pointed out his post was showing incorrect information, however when 'Wok' did the same he says 'thanks' - my point is, the defaming post was deleted as the 'mods' don't like people posting offencive remarks to members or visitors.

As Sand Man (SA) states, "both members and visitors alike, are knowledgeable about "something". There is the occasional "wanker" of course and unfortunately their bent is to be controversial. One learns who to ignore and who to respond to and eventually they go elsewhere, one way or another"

The mods actually do 'ban' the people who deserve it for whatever reason, they then have to reincarnate themselves with a new persona.

FollowupID: 350977

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:15

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:15
Hi,

As the earlier replies have stated, you do get your moneys worth and it helps keep the site viable in the long term as web based businesses do need to pull in some dollars to meet their costs.

The site can be slow at times but tell me a web site that doesn't suffer this occasionally. Yes there are ratbags at times and rubbish to wade through but all in all it is no major problem. The site is moderated but they can't be expected to catch everything that gets posted. As a sideline sometimes the rubbish is entertaining in its own right.

You meet some great people and pick up heaps of great information so for me that makes it worth the money.

As far as you joining up goes, that comes down to you in the end.

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 91461

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:18

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:18
This rubbish you are referring to......is it the chit chat????? Funny thing is that when u get a forum like this members and non members form friendships and have meetings like glenn and the als refer to. Some of the moderation that goes on is in many of our opinions is over the top. I am in two minds as to renew my membership.............the benefits are good IMO...the forum as an information base is excellent........if u enjoy a good crapping on session as we like to put it......don't crap on here......join a few of the crazies at http://groups.msn.com/4wdRec/_homepage.msnw we enjoy a good yack. As for you splashing out your money????????????? Up to you but i am not sorry i did in the beginning.
AnswerID: 91462

Follow Up By: 80seriesrule - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:51

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 18:51
Well said Brew69.
I must say from the several replies i have recived there seems to be a few people who have joined but are reconsidering renewing.
Is there any 1 thing that makes people not what to rejoin?
FollowupID: 350034

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:01
Hi 80 SR,

It's interesting, some may refer to this post as being a "rubbish" post due to there not being one bit of info in relation to 4wding, caravaning or camping, but there is value for you in it!!!

Also due to the number of responces it could possibly add to the speed issues you have with the site!!!

If your looking for "real" monetry type advantages in joining this site, it's of my oppinion that your joining for the rong reasons.

I never had any intention of becoming a member due to the fact I've been visiting fishing related sites for years and never been asked to join or buy a membership, but eventually after gaining enormouse amounts of advice on a vast range of subjects including parts, aftermarket stuff, repairs, directions, places to go.....etc,etc, I all of a sudden found myself feeling the need to join, my advice would be to wait untill you reckon you "should" join.

Happy Days..........Browny
FollowupID: 350050

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 23:06

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 23:06
Well I am gladly re-joining. If we all take the position of supporting what we get some value from then we will contnue to get value from it. If we all pull the pin then the site'll go down the gurgler, something I don't want to see. Poeple have different reasons for being a member and not. The friends I have met here, not only met but have been welcomed into their homes, are something that I value very highly and I am prepared to continue to support this medium of meeting sharing of info and chit chat, there're sites like the MSN one for general banter, and I am a mamber of that too.

You talk about moderation, some say we have too much, others say they don't agree with whats happened at times, me amongst them. As someone mentioned in another thread, its not a job that is an easy one and I ascribe to that theory, accept the need for some moderation, if you think something should be given the bullet, then as Juliana says above email her and she'll take a look. You reckon there needs to be more to make the site better for you, other says less to make the site beter for them. Forget about it and get on with being part of this community, paid or non paid.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 350087

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:03

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:03
Poor bugger me 80series

Can't afford 50 bucks. Spend that on 2 slabs of beer and once its drunk its gone.

You don't have to join just lurk and spruik.

Joining up is only an ego thing....but maybe you havn't got one unlike the rest of us..hahahahaha
AnswerID: 91492

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:12

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:12
Don't be too harsh on us non members Willem

Cheers
FollowupID: 350052

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:17
Now what is it Glenn.....Ego, money or dummy spit?
FollowupID: 350055

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:23
None of the above Willem. I doubt that my renewment would be accepted anyway by those who rule this site. I just decided, why support those who don't deserve it. I chose to visit when I want, post when I want, and respond when I want....free of charge.

Cheers
FollowupID: 350057

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:39

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:39
We all know your story, Glenn. Be gracious about it and admit defeat...some things you just have to walk away from. Goodnight
FollowupID: 350061

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:42

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 21:42
Cheers Willem, no worries : )
FollowupID: 350064

Follow Up By: 80seriesrule - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:26

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:26
See here we have the perfect example of how a post turns to rubish.
So i take it you have had a bad experience then Glenn?
And glad to see your still grumpy there Willem.
FollowupID: 350143

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 16:32

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 16:32
Geez mate, your rubbish are two other peoples catch up and comment, pull your head in, its comments such as yours that are the real rubbish.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 350288

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:33

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:33
Never grumpy mate....just playing with words or taking the piss...hahahaha......gotta find the soft underbelly
FollowupID: 350322

Follow Up By: diamond - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:39

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:39
geez bonz way to go mate.
lol thats the way to stop some one becoming a member:-))
hahahaha
FollowupID: 350323

Follow Up By: 80seriesrule - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:43

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:43
I must say the $50 might be worth it just in the value of how gullible you people really are!
FollowupID: 350326

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:47

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:47
yes Diamond I say it as it see it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 350332

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:52

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:52
funny how when you respond to this particular conversation, it changes the order or responses...lol

Look 80seriesrules, this thread seems to be turning into one of the crap ones, but as the tyrants are on tour, it has yet to be deleted...ROFLMAO. Without guys like Willem and Bonz, this place would truly be boring. One of the classic non members is a bloke by the name of Truckster. I have yet to meet him personally yet, but gee he can stir the pot well too. As Willem has stated, "Joining up is only an ego thing", so make up your own mind. I will definately send you an invite next time there is a 4wdadventureoz get together. The last one was over the Xmas period on the Loddon River near Castlemaine, and the next one in the pipeline is Walwa over Easter, so keep you eyes open as it will be an invite only affair, and with your sense of humour, you will be quite welcome to come along.

Cheers

FollowupID: 350334

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:53

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:53
PS...it appears poor Bonz is still suffering from Des Lexics disease...hahahahahhaha
FollowupID: 350336

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:56

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:56
The Jingellic PUB! I recall that from lots of years ago, playing pool there in 1979, must be old Glenn, no wonder I got Des's disease....just glad I dont have his vehicle hahahahahaha.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 350337

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 18:01

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 18:01
Yes Bonz, what a lovely pub it is too, with a great camp site next to it. Hopefully you will have the sat phone by then and I can send you an invite.

Oh and he who laughs first, laughs last.

Cheers
FollowupID: 350340

Follow Up By: diamond - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 18:01

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 18:01
you see it as you say it.
say it as you saw it.
seen it as it went bye even hahaha.
so how was crissy anyway bonz?
FollowupID: 350342

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 18:10

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 18:10
Best one for a long time Diamond, on call tho so couldnt call by the lazy Loddon, sadly. Boss is off on King Island at the moment and I am trying to work out what food needs to change of from frozen to cooked.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 350344

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 23:36

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 23:36
Hi 80seriesrule,
You say your occupation is computer software. So I take it you know something about computers?
As for the site being slow, I guess you would know the answer to that.
Yes thats right it means that it is a popular site and I guess whenever you check in its during one of those busy periods. So I guess all those people must find something of use to them here.
As for becoming a member, again you should know why!
Sites like this don't operate for nothing, it does cost money. You cant have everything for free you know. I am sure that you dont go around supplying software for nicks.
I received my membership info in my email today, and the extras associated with membership are well worth the cost, and as stated previously it will enable the site to grow and continually get better.
So go without a carton of cigs this week and do the right thing.
Support a great Ozzie website.

All the Best
Ozzyark
(yes there is one of those stupid names)
(i'd tell you what it means if you were a member)
Cheers
AnswerID: 91521

Follow Up By: 80seriesrule - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:41

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:41
Sorry Craig but i dont drink or smoke.
I thought that was the right thing.
FollowupID: 350179

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:37

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:37
better still dont pay out $50 bucks ...spend a little more at the shop and get one for nothing......makes sense to me!

AnswerID: 91539

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:27

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:27
Hi 80seriesrule.
It is a hard question do you pay over the $50 bucks or just keep freeloading. It's abit like computer software, do you get it for free ( legally or not) or do you do the decent thing, acknowledge that someone has put in a lot of time, sweat and money and pay up.

I have just renewed my membership for the third year as I benefit from the site. The trouble is that Michelle and David are too generous in what they allow freeloaders to access on their site. Hopefully you are as willing to give you expertise for free to any that don't want to pay for it.

To the members that willing pay each year to support freeloaders, you are very generous and thanks to Michelle and David for allowing us to share in a small way in their dream
Ray
AnswerID: 91545

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:13

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:13
As a website host and software designer/project manager myself, I applaud those who see fit to support the enourmous efforts that our hosts here put in to keep us together as a like-minded community.

I have no problem putting up fifty measly bucks to support this site - as those dollars don't just go into what you see here already - they are used for future development of features that none of us have seen yet. The site will only get bigger, better and more informative as time goes on.

Storage (servers) and bandwidth cost plenty..... so if you use it, feel better about yourself and pay a little.....
AnswerID: 91572

Reply By: 80seriesrule - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:49

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:49
Well isnt that an amazing aray of answers!
Some people dont mind freeloaders.
Some people obviously do mind freeloaders.
Some people just have no idea what the post was about.
I may just remain an air member for a while and see what happens.
AnswerID: 91578

Follow Up By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:39

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:39
What are the advantages of being a member and forking out $50 of hard earned money?

That's what i thought your post was about, not running a survey on who minds freeloaders, and who doesnt, or who has no idea what the post is all about.

I have gained heaps of knowlege, had a good laugh, and made a few friends.
IMHO, it was the right thing for me to hand over not so hard earned cash, and give something back...
FollowupID: 350202

Follow Up By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 16:06

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 16:06
Paul,

Well put. You have said it all.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 350280

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:05
an air member?

lol
FollowupID: 351541

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:04

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:04
G'day 80series,

FYI, I did just as yourself. I was happy looking around, reading the posts, getting information, contribiting on posts I knew about etc. Then within the space of about a week, I saved about $300 on a fridge, jerry cans and other things I wanted to buy due to advice from this site.

I made a decision to join based on my concious and the value I perceived I got from the site. Classic "try before you buy" stuff.

In my opinion, and I too run a software business but in Sydney, you either take or contribute. I think you'll find the advice you get is more than worth a $50 "donation" to the good of the site. Forget about the "what's in it for me" or "what do I get if I join" and just look at the shear value. If you don't think $50 per year is a reasonable contribution for the advise etc you receive, you must already know everything.

Cheers, and hope you had a good Chrissy.

Smocky.
AnswerID: 91981

Sponsored Links