Murray R. crossing at Tom Groggin. Depth?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:33
ThreadID: 19091 Views:2949 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Has anyone recently been over the Murray R. from Tom Groggin to the Davies Plain track? What is the depth of water and what other hazards may occur there?
Phil I
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:42

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:42
Phil,

I havent been there for a couple of years, but when I was there last it was summer and very shallow. It is also only a short crossing. More recent answers would be better for you though.

Cheers
AnswerID: 91456

Follow Up By: phil - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:52

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 17:52
I am hoping to be there in March so hope water is fairly low.

I have also seen reference to access to Vic tracks via the Tom Groggin Station crossing, but I have always thought that was private property and not available. Does anyone know the real situation?

Phil I
FollowupID: 350020

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:05

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:05
Hi Phil

Last few times I have been it's been up to about 75 centimetres deep. After rain (like at the moment), it may be a little deeper - and it flows fairly fast at times too. I've seen it a metre deep - but did not cross it at that time.

Our last crossing (fairly shallow on the down-river side, but half way up the doors on the up-river side: [ View Image]

You can go in at Tom Groggin Station - but you need to contact the owners first.... as I think that they get a little tired of non-stayers coming through their place.

Also - be very careful to check that you do the entire Davies Plain trip into Victoria. I rang the authorities in May to get a bunch of us Sydney Jeep Club members up there for a trip and they had closed it off a month early. They also said that they were thinking of keeping it all closed for up to 18 months for re-generation. Don't go if you haven't cleared this up with them. Ring the guys in Omeo.

We had to divert our entire trip and do the Mt Pinnibar track instead - a short one. We stayed at a campsite about 40km's south of Corryong and at Wheelers Hut as our two bases for the 5 day trip.

Great place to be in any case.....

Cheers
Chris
AnswerID: 91469

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 19:58
http://www.exploroz.com.au/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=18957

I think Cruze was up there this weekend.
AnswerID: 91478

Reply By: jackablue - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 20:05
I was down that way just before christmas & was speaking to a guy in a troopy who was told by Vic Parks at Omeo that it was the highest he has seen it. At what height was that, I don't know?

Cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 91479

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:27

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2005 at 22:27
I was there 2 weeks ago - camping at Geehi - the crossing was fairly deep ! about 40 - 50cm
AnswerID: 91510

Reply By: GUPatrol - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:59

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:59
I was there late November with the intention of crossing it going up to Mt Pinnibar...
It was the highest I have ever seen it and flowing fast, did not even attempt to cross it...
I have crossed it many times , the crossing is usually wheel deep, no problem for a standard 4wd.
The Tom Groggin station crossing is a no no as the property owner does not like the traffic.
AnswerID: 91551

Reply By: rihearn - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:16

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:16
I was also there in late november. We had the intention of crossing and heading to Mt Pinnabar but it was really high. Had to be over roof level and very fast flowing. Not that I can confirm that!!
It had been a good snow season though so there would be a lot more meltwater.

Went down to Geehi instead and crossed the swampy plains river. Even that was up to bonnet level on a 2' lifted patrol. It was also fast flowing and on the upstream side the water was lapping against the windows.
Thought I might have bitten off more than I could chew at the deepest point but all went well apart from a pair of flooded driving lights.

That was 2 months ago so I would imagine there will be a lot less water running now. Can't help with whats on the bottom at Tom Groggin but Swampy plains is covered in round river stones so you get a firm but bouncy crossing.
AnswerID: 91556

Reply By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:14

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:14
Traversed it yesterday after sending some of the younger folk for a walk through.
It was just below crotch height but with the rain I would say it is rising. Crossed over about 3.00pm and headed home. We put a tarp across the front just in case and had 3 vehicles cross. A fairly low 100 series, a fairly high 100 series and my 80 series with 2 inch lift. No worries.
Have good fun with it as it topped off our holiday.
AnswerID: 91573

Reply By: phil - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:26

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:26
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will investigate in March. Planning on about 2 weeks in Vic High country before Easter.
Phil I
AnswerID: 91944

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 16:33

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 16:33
Phil,

I have just come back from there, and the river crossing is not too bad. After rain the river level can rise very quick but will also fall just as quick.

The best way to cross the river is to go in a ark( not the boat, but the curve). When you get to the river bank you will see that there are rocks on the down stream side, this is were the shallow water is.

If you are coming from the NSW side, enter the water and drive down stream for about a vehicle length, then start to turn and follow the rocks on the drivers side until you reach the exit. If crossing from the VIC side, the opposite route, but don't turn too early as a bow wave will get bigger as you drive upstream for the vehicle length to the exit.

Might see you in the VIC High Country in March.

Wayne
AnswerID: 91950

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 19:33

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 19:33
Excellent advice - you are spot on. There is a slight rock "weir" of sorts that you can follow in an arc as described. Miss the arc..... and you are pretty deep.
FollowupID: 350774

Follow Up By: phil - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 16:58

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 16:58
Thanks Wayne for your advice. It is the sort of detail which is really useful!

I will be in a white Bravo tray top with a vinyl canopy. NSW rego.
Hope to see you somewhere.

Phil I
FollowupID: 350862

Sponsored Links