Pajero 2002 NM GL

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 00:14
ThreadID: 19105 Views:7033 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day

I have been watching this forum for a while, as we have been in the market for a 4WD. I haven't posted before but I would like to say thanks to all the contributors in this forum that have helped me make a relatively informed decsion in what is not an unsignificant purchase.

If anyone has any info on 2002 NM pajero's ie pitfalls, maintenance problems etc, it would be appreciated

Cheers to one and all

Scaly

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:59

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:59
Scaly,

For good info and discussion on Pajeros try:- www.pajeroclub.com.au and click on the link to the forum. Lots of discussion, tips and ideas about Pajeros of all models.
Is the NM you are looking at petrol or diesel?
Both models have a plastic sump guard. I recommend you consider changing this for an after-market metal guard if you intend doing any off-road work or sand work.
If a diesel, I also suggest you look at replacing the front steel skid plate with the Mitso Alloy one or a suitable after market one. The skid plate protects the intercooler.
There have been some reports of early front wheel bearing failure on NMs but I had one for three years and did 120,000 kms without a sign of a problem.
There have also been some reports of partially blocked radiators caused by the use of incorrect coolant. There has been no confirmation from Mitso on either of these problems.
My NM (late 2000 petrol) had recalls for a brake booster check, transmission cooler/radiator replacement, and Frontline Australasia Tow Bar modification.
NM Petrol requires timing belt replacement at 100,000 kms. This also requires other belt replacement and new platinum spark plugs. My service cost was about $900.00 from memory.
I liked the NM so much I bought the NP Di-D after seriuosly considering a 4.0 L petrol Prado.
I think you will be very happy with the NM.
AnswerID: 91552

Follow Up By: Scaly - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 16:29

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 16:29
Cheers for the info Rosscoe

Very happy with it so far. It's only the GL petrol model so it doesn't have all the fruit but was a bargain price and is still under manufacturers warranty

I am still to get offroad yet but i only picked her up 2 days ago.

Bummer about the 100K service- But i expected something like that

Any idea on what minor service $ are ?
FollowupID: 350593

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 16:41

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 16:41
I choose not to user Mitso dealers, not so much for cost reasons but for quality and reliability of work. I have been using the same owner operator for 12 years. He is a bit cheaper than the dealer but I still seem to be forking out cash every other day. This and 4wds seem to be a fact of life.

Can't remember how much minor services cost but I never seem to be charged less than a couple of hundred dollars, but I always know the car is in good nick and unlikely to let me down.
Enjoy it.
FollowupID: 350600

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:04

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:04
Scaly,

Also check out the replies and follow-ups on the previous post which talks about Pajero v Land Rover.
Regards,
AnswerID: 91553

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:08

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:08
Scaly,
I agree fully with Rossco, Great 4x4 I’ve had mine from New too and have replaced the Sump guard with a checker plate one as the plastic one lasted two weeks! Don’t buy the Mitsubishi one though as its hellishly expensive ($300+) I had one made up buy a mate for around $60 and have enough checker plate left over to make about 12 more I recon. Because I damaged the Sump Guard I also had to replace the front diff actuator $245 + Labor to replace because that’s what I hit!! The other thing to watch out for is the rear brake booster (I think!) it’s in a very susceptible place the rear right wishbone I too have Damaged that in the past but once you know its there then you only do it once! And I’ve heard a few people have ripped their back bumpers off in the sand dunes coming off a steep dune the rear bumper acts like a sand scoop and fills up with sand. I guess it’s all down to the driver I recon but a bit underbody protection will make a standard Pajero an even Better 4x4.

HTH
AnswerID: 91583

Reply By: Froilan - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 21:41

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 21:41
Scaly

Look at Post ID 17776. Some useful info from various forumites. Have a 2002 NM myself.
AnswerID: 91850

Sponsored Links