Victorian High Country Track Openings

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:41
ThreadID: 19111 Views:1988 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Just returned from the high country.
Some of the tracks that are open as of yesterday are King Billy - a little rough but OK, Monument, Davies High Plain, Butcher Country, Zeka Spur - rough, Mount Wellington, Blue Rag Range, Basalt Knob - Good drive, Billy goat Bluff. All tracks are a bit slow going so allow plenty of time.
The track we came across as closed and was not on Vic Parks list is at the end of Castleburn Creek Track. The track off to the right towards the end I think its Black burn range track is open and an excellent drive.
Wonnangatta is overgrown and a bit dissappointing so we only stayed one night.
Talbotville camp ground is excellent and not overcrowded. Definetely worth a couple of nights.
The river crossing at Tom Groggin is high but passable as of 3.00pm yesterday 5th Jan 05 but may rise due to rain so walk it first as we did just to be safe and use a bonnet tarp.
Have a good trip if you are heading that way and I hope you see some brumbies as we did which topped off a great trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:47

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:47
80s

Did you find the Davies High Plain trail open all the way through?.... i.e. open across the Vic/NSW junctions? I was told in May last year by the local authorities in Omeo that they were considering keeping it closed for up to 18 months - right from Tom Groggin to the Vic side......

If it's open all the way through... I'm in for my 5th trip across the top before it closes again for the next snow season..... just love that trail....
AnswerID: 91577

Follow Up By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 13:14

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 13:14
Hi crispy
We began the Davies high plain track at Mcarthys track and travelled north all the way through to the boundary at Tom Groggin station.
We crossed the Murray River near the Tom Groggin camping area.
The river was flowing fast and a little high but it was safe to cross.
In answer to your question, yep its open all the way through.

There is good camping at Davies Plain hut. Good facilities and a local bird to watch over you. The track is in excellent condition and the under growth is just beginning to come back nice after the fires.

Have a safe and great trip.
FollowupID: 350211

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 13:17

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 13:17
80s

Thanks for that! :)

Yup - it's certainly my favourite area in Australia so far..... but I haven't done the deserts yet.......

Local bird at the hut?????? Pray (or is that "prey") tell!!
FollowupID: 350213

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 13:23

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 13:23
Oh! Great to hear about the re-growth..... it was a moonscape after the fires.
FollowupID: 350216

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 15:52

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 15:52
>and a local bird to watch over you.

A couple of years ago I was camping on the Murray in NW Vic and discovered I had placed myself in the domain of an owl and he was _not_ going to move simply because I was there. It was a magical evening - he spent much of it on a low branch about 5m from my "kitchen" and from time-to-time would take off and swoop close to me to catch his prey. Once his wingtip almost touched me, even so, I didn't hear him in flight just noticed the movement from the corner of my eye. They are magnificent birds :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 350274

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:25

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 17:25
Wow :)

How cool is that.

You get to see all sorts of great things up there - both faunae and flora. Just love to live up there....... well... Cooma has to be cloase enough for us.
FollowupID: 350313

Follow Up By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 20:50

Thursday, Jan 06, 2005 at 20:50
Haven't done the deserts yet?
Well our clubs booked in for September this year.
I am really looking forward to that 4 weeks.
FollowupID: 350382

Sponsored Links