First four wheel drive.. Battery size?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:03
ThreadID: 19147 Views:4165 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just bought my first four wheel drive. 2001 3.5 Pajero. Can't wait to get it out there in the dirt. Just wondering about a good reliable battery for it. It only has the factory one in there at the moment. What size would I need? .Can't afford the dual battery setup yet. Is there some sort of low battery beeper you can fit so you can't run it flat when useing accessories. Any info would be great.
Thanks
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:19

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:19
you will start a fist fight over what type of battery but what size is easy - the biggest one you can fit in around 6-700 cca. If you cant afford a db set up those battery jumpstart packs can be gotten at a resnable price and should handle the lower starting demands of a petrol. you keep it on hand should you flatten the battery. A battery of the type mentioned should easily run your engal and versa light overnight without going flat
AnswerID: 91777

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 15:03

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 15:03
David,

I assume the OE battery is on the wayout!
I agree with the previous post get the biggest cranking battery that will fit.
As for low battery warning devices, a number of manufactures sell them. Some plug into the accesory outlet, some need to be wired in. The latter are often adjustable as to the cut-off voltage.
Pojecta units are normally available from most auto shops others from places like the Low Voltage Shop in Auburn Sydney.
If yo decide to go for a Gel Battery pack or even if you don't you may want to consider rewiring and possibly even replacing the rear accessory outlet so that you get minimum voltage drop and firm connection. Minimum voltage drop is essential if you expect to get any sort of charge into the prtable battery pack while you are driving.
Enjoy your Paj.
AnswerID: 91782

Follow Up By: david r - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:23

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:23
Hi Ross.
The battery is still ok. Need a new one for the run around. So I thought I would update the one in the Paj.
I don't know much about the gel batteries . What are the advantages of these compared with normal ones. Price etc.
What sort of money would I be looking at for the dual battery setup?.
Cheers
David
FollowupID: 350623

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:15

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:15
Best to go to a 4wd shop and they will have specific battery's with heaps of "guts" in them. Normal car shops (repco etc) may not have the heavy duty ones you need.
AnswerID: 91807

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:42

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:42
bleep off the 4wd shop IMO. I went to a agricultral (farm) shop and got a 770 CCA starter for $79 on special. That's right $79. Been in there over 12 months and still going strong. I also bought a Deep Cycle (80amp/hr) for $120 which is my second battery. I use a Arrid Smart Solinoid that cost $135 from the "12 volt shop" and there's your dual battery setup.

If you don't want that, just get the big ass battery 700 or so CCA.

Don't go to a battery place, they'll charge too much, 4wd shop, well we all know about their rediculous prices.
AnswerID: 91812

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 22:06

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 22:06
Jaycar sells a low battery warning kit. Fun to build and does the job. I think. I haven't flattened the battery enough to find out.
Camper
AnswerID: 91860

Sponsored Links