New rules coming for WA on lifting 4bs

Submitted: Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 15:52
ThreadID: 19148 Views:2871 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
From outerlimits4x4.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In WA, the department of planning and infrasture have imposed a 2" height maximum for lifts, which includes body, suspension and tyres. Anything over 2" you need to perform a lane change test. Anything over standard (up until 2") need to go over the pits to be approved. Also any modification you do to a vehicle needs prior approval before you undertake it.

So I have been speaking to a local shop who undertake 4x4 mods. They have been doing the lane change test in the past and getting them legal. However some of his customers have recently been declined permits to undertake modifications. Apprently one guy got a lawer involved and he has not found any legislation that stipulates the maximum height of a vehicle or size of tyres.

So do other states have this in legislation ??? To me it looks like the WA planing and infrasture do not want to deal with these modifications and are now just not approving them at all. While in the past they tried to enforce a very dificult and expensive test to try and deter these kind of mods. Is this illegal for them to do this ??? Are they alowed to make up rules with out legislation behind it ??

So this leads me to the question does this mean that all we need to do is ensure that our 4x4's adhear to ADR rules?? Are there any ADR's pertaining to height of vehicles and tyre size?? Do we have to adhear to current ADR's or ADR's for the year of the vehicle in question ??? Any web links to ADR's ???

Should vehicle modifications be a federal policy and have nothing to do with the states?? Arn't ADR's federal, therefore the states have no legal enforcement to make there own rules related to modifications??? If a company was to build a vehicle that meet ADR's and then sold it thoughout Australia, but it broke some state enforced guidlines, what would happen????

Anyone out there with legal background or vehicle engineering background care to have some input??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:23

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:23
Pathetic hey. Putting my air bags in the back springs almost broke the law then.
All this is going to do is make people do it anyway and just ignore all the regulations entirley. That's what I feel when I read it, oh well, Bleep them then they can get beelped and I'll just go off and do whatever I want, then if they want to bust me, fine, I'll put it back to stock, take it over the pits and put the bits back on again. D...heads.

My brother did that with his 300ZX when he imported it. They fitted a stock exaust, stock suspension, stock intake, stock rims and tyres, stock blow off valves then got a good looking chick to take it to the pits with the windows wound down (cos the tint was not leagal).
Went over first time, then whacked all the gear back on. It's probally illegal in so many ways it'd get a red sticker. LOL
But it goes like a shower if sht. :-)
AnswerID: 91808

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 00:32

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 00:32
Clip on the discussion on Outerlimits

...Bogged,
was your lane change test conducted at 110km/h??, this is what is required is WA. Have a look at this http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/sagecomp/4x4/engineer/Lane.xls This was sent to me by the WA 4x4 association.

*****Apparently a stock jeep could not pass this test*****

People who have done them are saying they are building the suspension for the test (ie hard) so it passes and then softening up the suspension.
FollowupID: 350679

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:15

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 19:15
Dissasemble the old shocks (pre lift) and fill them with grease and reinstall them. Should firm up the suspension nicely. When the test is done put some real shocks in (after carefully painting them black so they don't stand out).
AnswerID: 92083

Reply By: jackablue - Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 21:15

Thursday, Jan 27, 2005 at 21:15
Just having a poke around the net & noticed that ADR 24 ceased on 1st January 2005 Can't find a ADR 24A?

I guess it is back on each state now.
link text
link text

Cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 95238

Sponsored Links