Simex centerpedes

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 13:28
ThreadID: 19177 Views:2129 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking at running 33" or 35" centerpedes. Does anyone have any first hand experience in running these tyres on a day to day basis? I'm aware they will be noisier than my current BFG Muddies but what is the saftey factor like on the highway.
Thanking you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 13:50

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 13:50
I personally don't have them, but a mate of mine does. On-road they are pretty noisy, but a particular pressure at the time might influence that. He runs them on an old BJ, so on-road "performance" realy isn't ...well..... a factor. Seems to think that they pull up ok though, and dirt-road driving is pretty good with lots of sideways grip.

One thing thgat impressed the heck out of me though was a demonstration he did one day in a very deep and sloppy bog hole. The rest of us had gone through - but only those with lockers made it...... muddies and all. He wanted to try something out, so stuck it back into 2WD and booted it a little. The BJ just plowed in and scooted out - without near as much wheelspin as the rest of us. In 2WD!!! Not only did he make it out, but didn't churn up the mud any more. Pretty good in my book....

Had he absolutely thumped it though, we suspect that he would have torn a hole the size of Texas into what remained of the bog hole. Not good practice. Centipedes and other agressive tyres are great until you start adding heaps of power - when they become so much more destructive than a less agressive tyre. Just MHO.
AnswerID: 91930

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:39

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:39
Lots of guys at the Outback Challenge were running them. On the road they said they are scary, and none I spoke to would be inclined to run them on a daily driver. Just go get another set of rims and only use them offorad or at least when you are driving to and from the offroad bit.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 91937

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 19:37

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 19:37
Hi James
My son runs Silverstone MT117 on the GQ for offroad driving, but they handle the road quite well, I was surprised as they have quite aggressive tread. They love the mud and the rocks. Runs 33 which are just legal in Vic
Silverstone Tyres

Ray
AnswerID: 91959

Reply By: GRAEME - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:11

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:11
They don't make 33 centipedes but the 32,s that i have are close enough to 33 inches. I don,t run them all the time, only when i'm doing serious stuff. I think they would wear out too quick. They are noisy on the road but the handle ok in the dry but you've got to be very carefull in the wet. They are great in mud heaps better than bfg mud terrains that i use as road tyres. Just buy another set of rims and swap them for offroad.
Graeme
AnswerID: 91967

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:59

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:59
They are not really a daily runner tire, same as most extreme tires. Not only the noise attracts the bacon, they handle like crap in the wet, and wear out real fast.

I run 2 sets of wheels/tires
MTR's for road
Simexs for offroad.
the only way to fly.

You will also need to get your car engineered to legally run 35's - anything up to $400 for that.
AnswerID: 92029

Reply By: SteveW - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 13:44

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 13:44
Hi James M

I run 31" centerpedes on my 4 runner, I have 2 sets of tyres- one for road and one for off road. I find that they are quite noisy on the road and wear out quite fast (especially with a locker) and the grip isnt that good. offroad however they are faultless. I think in the long run your better off getting 2 sets because the centerpedes wont last long with daily use.. if you do decide to run them daily I dont think you'll have a problem with them being dangerous on highway etc. They have a great looking tread pattern too

Steve
AnswerID: 92039

Reply By: James M - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:12

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:12
Thanks guys.
Thats what I thought. Looks like the BFG muddies for everyday and save up for some extra rims.
AnswerID: 92131

Follow Up By: SteveW - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:30

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:30
I would have thought some AT's would be better for the road if your getting a 2nd set for off road, but its your choice i suppose
FollowupID: 350944

Follow Up By: James M - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:31
I am totaly happly with the BFG muddies behaviour on the road and dirt stuff. Excellent grip all round so I stick with them.
FollowupID: 351184

Sponsored Links