Tent with pole in the middle

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 13:57
ThreadID: 19179 Views:4949 Replies:14 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am pretty new to here so hope this is an appropriate posting.
I am interested in one of those tents witha pole in the middle but it seems most of them are only about 8 foot by 8 foot. Does anyone know of one that is bigger, say 9foot by 9foot or so.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:02

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:02
We used to have a Southern Cross Ultimate 9x9 (3m x 3m or thereabouts). COI Leisure also makes a 9x9 I think.

If you get one, you can save internal space and sleep in the middle (away from wet canvas) if you go with the optional "side pole" kit - which lets you put up one pole each side rather than one smack bang in the middle. Just means a tiny bit more to carry.
AnswerID: 91931

Follow Up By: david - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:24

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:24
Soutern Cross make a 10 x 10 , of which I have owned now for about 15 years and still going strong. they also make 9 x 9, 9 x 12, 10 x13 I think as well. They come from Melbourns I think, look it up in the web
FollowupID: 350784

Reply By: Blackie - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:12

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:12
Have a look here.

http://www.freedomcamping.com.au/
AnswerID: 91934

Reply By: David Au - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:42

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:42
Have you ever used one. I found the pole in the middle to be a complete pain in the big toe. These BlackWolf turbo tents is the tent of my choice.
AnswerID: 91938

Follow Up By: bernie1 - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:57

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:57
I'm with you Dave, what a pain in the a*+$#. My old man had one of these 30 yrs ago. Yes I know things have improved somewhat. Sounds like were going in circles. Might be good for 2 people overnite but not a family. Yes, I have been camping for years too! Now have a coleman Northstar 5,only takes a few minutes to put up.

cheers
FollowupID: 350791

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:24

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:24
Turbo tents are fine but you need a roof rack to carry them,
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 350796

Follow Up By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:18

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:18
Disagree centre pole is a pain - how can one pole be difficult!!

We are a family of five and have used ours for about six weeks of last year (three weeks longest in one stint, and that was a double Simpson crossing, so except for three occasions, up and down every night)

Four pegs, one pole - so there's not much that is quicker or easier....

The big advantage of these is their simple design - a lot of these newer 'quick erect' tents have hinged joints. break one of these away from town and you've got a bit of a drama - break a centre pole from my tent, and you can use pretty much anything (including a big stick ;-) to hold it up.
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 350826

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:39

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:39
>Member - Ivan (ACT) posted this followup
>Disagree centre pole is a pain - how can one pole be difficult!!

With a name like yours you ask such a question!?

Mike Harding :)
FollowupID: 350827

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:22

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:22
Have to agree with IVAN,we used one last year(centre pole ,extended version) for a three month trip and we were always the first to have the tent up ,and first to have it packed up.Centrer pole was never a problem.Spent a few nights in pouring rain(Cape Tribulation)and the tent stayed 100% dry.Looked at some other tents before we got the centre pole but decided that the hinges were a weak point and looked after I reacon canvas will out last dome tent type material.
Our tent is a COI Lightening Extended,great tent.
FollowupID: 350838

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:44

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:44
Centerpoles are a pain.. so you use the sidepole kits for the same tent.

You use the centerpole to erect the tent and your set.

If need be, 4 pegs and 1 pole and you can sleep in under 5 mins with a centerpole tent - yea thats a real pain..

YMMV
FollowupID: 350841

Reply By: Top Cat - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:24

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:24
I didnt even no they still made the old canvas tents.

Why would u buy one of them.........heaps more expensive i suspect, weigh tons, take longer to put up and are mucg more bulky in your truck........they also take ages to dry whereas a nylon tent can be dried with a towel and after another 10 mins is pretty much bone dry.

And worst of all........u still get wet in them.
AnswerID: 91943

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 16:15

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 16:15
Hi Topcat...words escape me with you comments.....
"I didnt even no they still made the old canvas tents.
And worst of all........u still get wet in them."

Having done 10years of solid camping with a very active scout troop using old "auto style tents" & a ground sheet , I dont recall anyone getting wet in one.
Yes they do need air drying if they get wet , but any tent needs that or they will go mouldy.
New style center pole tents are a breeze to erect ( dont know of anything quicker) there not called 2 minuite tents for nothing.

Cheers
FollowupID: 350760

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 16:45

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 16:45
Top Cat....I guess you have never had or slept in a decent canvas touring tent. If that is the case maybe you shouldn't rubbish them so freely. I would bet the world that my touring tent would be standing after a storm, more waterproof than a dome, easily repaired if damaged where yours would be a throw away.... and quicker to put up than your 'nylon' tent (I presume you mean a dome). In addition, I will still be camping in my touring tent in 10 years time....you will probably be on your 10th dome by then.......
FollowupID: 350761

Follow Up By: Top Cat - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:21

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:21
well sorry for living.

Im glad that they are now quicker to put up.......No I wasnt aware of that......and Im prepared to take your word for it.

If it is canvas and does not have a fly then I doubt very much that (unless u stay well away from the sides) u will stay dry.

Do they have a floor in them??

Or do you need to dig a ditch all the way arround?........yes I remember having to do that as a kid.

I spent some 15 years in the scouts from member to leader and I can assure u that I would not swap my dome for any canvas tent I have ever seen.........including in a storm.........I have been through a few.

I agree with the 10 in ten years.........if u get a 50 dollar cheapy........I didnt, preferring to get a silicon proofed expensive job........which if looked after should be arround in 5.........but then i am out at least once a month, my brother reckons his has done close to 70 trips and some 130 odd nights.

For me it would be stupidity to get a canvas tent.........unless I planned on being camped in the one spot for a week or more..........I dont tow a trailer and I dont want to bog my truck down with excessive weight that is not required in todays new age world.
FollowupID: 350763

Follow Up By: David Au - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:28

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:28
Top Cat I am with you all the way. Spent more time than I care to remember in a canvas tent.
As far as speed of erection, comfort and all practicalities I would happily put my Black Wolf Turbo tent next to any canvas tent any-day for everything - and especially speed of erection.

I would say in answer you have not used a decent modern tent.

Canvas has its place, but camping tents is not its place.
FollowupID: 350764

Follow Up By: Top Cat - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:48

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:48
I must admit David, they sure look nice.........what are they made of?

I still feel they are to big for my liking but I like the idea I could add and subtract bits depending on the specific trip.

My own dome is a 6 man and can be stood and walked arround in which is what i wanted.........hate stooping........but also its really only used for sleeping or if its wet for playing cards.
FollowupID: 350766

Follow Up By: David Au - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:59

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 17:59
Top Cat they are seriously a great tent. Here is the blurb buried in the Black Wolf website. While they refer to it as canvas, I think they waved the cotton over to the top of the weaving machine and let it have a smell.

BLACK WOLF ANNOUNCES A REVOLUTIONARY NEW TENT FOR 2003 CALLED THE ‘TURBO TENT’

For the first time, camping, outdoor and four-wheel drive enthusiasts alike can experience the quality and versatility of this rapid pitching tent.

The BLACK WOLF TURBO TENT has a patented frame system allowing the user to erect a family sized tent in a matter of minutes. The revolutionary frame design consists of a central hub with four arms radiating out to form the roof and wall supports. The arms have pin locking elbow joints. These allow the tent to fold down into a reasonably sized carry-bag to fit the luggage space of almost any vehicle. The frame has only three parts which are standard on all models. With four different sized models available, you should easily be able to find the right one to suit your needs.

The BLACK WOLF TURBO TENT is made with an exceptionally high quality rip-stop poly-cotton canvas, and has a heavy-duty PVC tub style floor. The fabric has been treated to resist the heaviest of torrential downpours and seams have also been heat taped to help prevent leakage. Each tent comes with a fly made out of the same fabric as the tent. This provides extra protection from the elements.

The BLACK WOLF TURBO TENT also provides excellent internal height with the larger models offering a height of 2.1 metres. All models also have a dedicated zippered power inlet with Velcro tabs running up the internal seam with a hook at the top of the roof for your 12/240 Volt light.

The BLACK WOLF TURBO TENT has provision to add optional extras on the Turbo 240 and Turbo 300 models with Deluxe Fly options as well as, Universal side panels and Front panels. The Deluxe Fly provides two metres of extra awning cover, with the opportunity to fully enclose this front awning for additional living area. One of the side panels is gusseted to provide vehicle access. The best part of these optional extras is the speed in which they can be assembled. The panels use a simple but effective ‘C’ clip style system to easily clip to the alloy frame.

The BLACK WOLF TURBO TENT offers outdoor enthusiasts a rapid pitch tent using a dynamic combination of design and technology with more versatility than any tent currently available. Whether you are packing up and heading out in the Aussie bush for a round Australia expedition, or just getting away from work for a quick weekend retreat, you have found the tent you have always been looking for, the BLACK WOLF TURBO TENT
FollowupID: 350767

Follow Up By: Top Cat - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 18:06

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 18:06
cool, thanks for that.........at this stage Im expecting to get some pretty serious life out of my new dome.........it cost a small fortune apparently.......chrissy present........Im a bit of a rougher and am happy to sleep in the back of truck most of the time........lol.
FollowupID: 350768

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 18:56

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 18:56
Fair enough Top Cat - each to their own. LOL, don't be sorry for living.

Those Turbo Tents look good though.
FollowupID: 350769

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:27

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:27
Hi David, dont know about 8'x8' tents most you will see would be 9'x9' (2.7mx2.7m) sorry Crispy not (3mx3m) .
We have a Freedom 10x8 tourer & it sleeps 2 on one side of the center pole.

Southern Cross Canvas also make a range of sizes.

There is lots in the archives on tents.

Cheers
AnswerID: 91945

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:48

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:48
k text
FollowupID: 350757

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:49

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:49
link text
FollowupID: 350758

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:28

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:28
Bernie

Hence the '3m x 3m "or thereabouts"'

:)

Chris
FollowupID: 350785

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:47

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 20:47
Hi David, The tents you are asking about with a pole in the middle are a pain in the behind. They are heavy, the pole is a pain in the bum (no hope of any cuddling up with hubby, well your case the wife, mmmm maybe thats why he brought ours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and they take up heeps of room. We slept in ours on a cold night on top of Kosiosko, and all the bedding got wet cause you are up against the walls. Not really much room to move away from the walls either. Hate to see what happens when it rains. At least the dome ones you have got more room, and they have a fly over them. Anyway, thats my opinion on them. I do think you will be sorry if you get one. I am, but Geoff thinks it is tops.
See ya
Karen
AnswerID: 91964

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:11

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:11
Hi Karen, the centre pole can be a problem depending on the size of the tent, 9'x9' it is, but that is easy fixed if you get the side pole kits.
Our 10'x8' sleeps 2 on one side of the centre pole easy.
Re getting wet inside may depend on the quality of the tent not the type of tent.

Cheers & happy camping
FollowupID: 350813

Reply By: 80scruiser - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:19

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:19
Check out COI
I have a tornado 3m x 3m.
You can get a double air matress either side of the pole or a side pole kit.
I have just returned from a week and a half in the high country where it rained most days and never got wet at all.
For the money you can't go wrong.
You can get several sizes, 2.7 x 2.7 , 3 x 3, and longer. They are called extended tents.
AnswerID: 91970

Reply By: Member - Michael- Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:34

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:34
David
We have a Freestyle Tourer it is the same style as the Southern Cross but it is 8ft6 wide x 11ft6 deep. If you go to the following site you will see a photo
www.grangerscampingworld.com.au. Then go to Tents-Touring - Tourer 9
Cheers
Mike
BTW Grangersare in Dandenong Melb
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 91972

Follow Up By: David Bell - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 19:29

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 19:29
Thanks Michael it is good to get an informed response.
FollowupID: 351805

Reply By: Leroy - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:22

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:22
Hi David,

You are getting a variety of ilinformed resposes from people I feel have never owned a quality canvas centre pole tent.
I have owned a Freedom 3.2 x 2.6m centre pole tent for over 9 years. It has been an excellent tent and I would buy another if something happened to this one. It takes litterally 1 minute to set up. You can also buy as an option poles that go around the inside of the tent instead of using the centre pole. You can easily fit a double matress either side of the pole to accomodate 4 people (at the moment we fit a porta cot and one double matress).
We camped over the xmas/new year period and it rained almost continuously for 2 days. We didn't get wet. It was also very windy and thunderstorms at times and we didn't blow away. One aspect that people forget about is the wind. Dome tents for example almost blow flat in a strong wind!
We camped last year for 4 weeks in this test and because it takes only a minute to set up you don't mind settng up and moving around alot more will on holidays. Also you can stand up in it. 100's of tour operators cant be wrong now can they. If you are in Melb. Freedom Camping is in Elizabeth steet and get them to give you a demo on their tents. They will show you how good they are and how easy they are to set up.

Leroy
AnswerID: 92024

Follow Up By: David Bell - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 19:30

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 19:30
Thanks Leroy for an informed response. I am investigating yo0ur freedom tent as i type.
'
Cheers

David
FollowupID: 351806

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:53

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:53
Canvas tents are an investment. They cost you more, but knowing a few peopel with southern cross tents that are well over 10 yrs old, they could actually make money selling theirs now.

As I posted above, how can you go wrong with a Single pole tent - with the sidepole kit. Centerpole in a 9x9 gets in the way.. Sidepole kit takes about an extra 2-3 mins to setup - and you end up with about 8.11x9 useable area...

You should go and look at them yourself, and make a decision, opinions are like bums round here, everyone has one, but not all are worth checking...
AnswerID: 92027

Follow Up By: David Bell - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 19:34

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 19:34
Thanks mate I will be having a good look around just thought to get some thoughts from here first and most of the latter feedback is good ..
Thanks again

David
FollowupID: 351807

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:26

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 12:26
"Also you can stand up in it." When all else outside has turned to sh*t there is nothing like a centre pole canvas tent. Wouldn't relinquish my SC 9'x9' for a crappy dome tent....I have a swag for when I want to feel coccooned!!
AnswerID: 92032

Reply By: Member - Snatchem (WA) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:08

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 21:08
Hi Dave, you wouldn't be the same David Bell that was letting tyres down to get off Binningup Beach WA on the 23rd December would you ?

Peter G.
AnswerID: 92091

Follow Up By: Member - Snatchem (WA) - Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 17:22

Sunday, Jan 16, 2005 at 17:22
We'll Dave are you ?
FollowupID: 352414

Reply By: dougie diesel - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 00:09

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 00:09
Hi David,
Just my 2 bits worth. Myself, partner and now 3 year old have been travelling for 2.5 years now in a 10x13 southern cross ultimate trekka. Nothing but praise for it. We call it "the canvas palace". Roomy, easy to put up-other half can do it herself when required. It cost a bit and is a bit on the heavy side but has never blown down and we have never been wet.
Popped in to see them in the factory when in Victoria to ask for a spare bit of canvas for a minor repair (our fault) and got given large sheet of each colour and floor. I look forward to handing it over to the young fella when he's in his 60s. Great quality tent. Can't stand up in a dome.

Cheers
Dougie
AnswerID: 92106

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 07:53

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 07:53
david
have a look at oztrail tents-very similar to southern cross ones
have 9, 9plus and 10 plus
check out website think oztrail.com.au or similar
very good quality(not as good quality in my opinion as southern cross) but at 1/3rd of price
AnswerID: 92123

Reply By: Trace 'n Marc - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:15

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 18:15
Hi David..

Will use your thread as a convenient follow up to . one I started before we intended to go tent shopping whilst in Sydney a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting that I didn't get any of the 'who'd want a tent with a centre pole' lines then!! Admittedly this style does remind me of an old one a friend used to have, but we're talking quality here! And seeing the flimsy dome tents in the shops didn't sway us away from quality canvas one little bit. Staying up in all weathers is what appeals to us.

So.. we managed to see a couple of SC tents up.. and one Freedom up. None the size we were after.. The first SC was a 9 x 9 put up (saggily) in Boots at Prospect. Certainly looked small (no good for family.) and pokey, but the way it wasn't pegged out well didn't help.

We then saw a 10 x 10 SC at Thornleigh camping (or whatever it was called.). The guy was a bit creepy, but we got a bit more of an idea as it was put up better, and that extra square foot makes a heck of a difference. When I expressed my disappointment about not being able to see a few different models up in Sydney I got a lecture about how they don't get paid for floor space like supermarkets and stores like Harvey Norman do !! Riiight.

We then saw the only Freedom one in the Sydney area out at Emu Plains. It was the Northern Tourer.. 3.2 x 2.6 m (very frustrating this changing between imperial and metric) and I liked the fact that the frontage was wider.. (compared to the 3 m frontage of the 10 x 10 in the southern cross). Seemed to me that it would give you more useable space (like cooking space) out under an awning. But as we want an extended one, that feature doesn't apply.

Overall we probably liked more features on the Freedom than the SC...but the main thing the SC had better than the Freedom was that the O-rings are stainless steel !! Otherwise we liked the pole system of the freedom... the spring loaded pole rises to the right height of its own accord. OH liked that the floor was stitched to the walls internally.. less problem with the stitching outside rubbing. Of course not being able to see a fly 'in action' makes it a bit difficult. (As I recall it was the fly system that swayed Truckster immediately to SC.)

So we came home empty handed.. still undecided about which brand, let alone size needed, and cranky that you can't see enough up in Sydney to make an educated decision. If _I_ had a camping store, I'd have a patch of grass out the front, and I'd offer to put up any tent if it wasn't already on display. Especially the tourers, as the quick erecting time is supposedly a feature!!! Do these guys realise that we were ready to part with something like one and a half grand for the right tent, but because noone has them on display, we didn't. Certainly Southern Cross and Freedom aren't doing themselves any favours _not_ having big enough dealers elsewhere in Australia, never mind the biggest city in the country.

My only thoughts now are to get each company to send me lots of photos of the bigger models that we are interested in.

AnswerID: 93818

Follow Up By: BigPop - Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 21:07

Tuesday, Jan 18, 2005 at 21:07
Hi,
I have been looking around for some time for an easy to erect tent for some time now - have been reading all the current and archived postings etc on the "for's and againsts" of different tents and it seems to come down to personal choice again as some like one brand over another. As much as I hate to say but it's a lot like the old Toyota/Nissan debate.

Anyway I was leaning towards an OzTent for some time however being 6'2" and then entrance to the Oztent being only 6" going down to 4'6 at the back would've had me bent over (with a crook back mind you) from the word go so that went out of the equation.
I looked at quite a few centre pole tents and also the option of buying a side pole set up but again was not really what I was looking for/after. A friend of mine has a good quality centre pole canvas one he has had for years and is very happy with it - he says it has a few shortcomiongs but overall he is very happy with same.

I needed something that would fit my 7' stretcher bed in it and not touch the sides - as I need to sleep off the ground etc these days -- especially with my 'very' crook back.

I then came across the Black Wolf Turbo range of tents and was very interested/impressed. Have done a fair bit of research on them, asked a heap of questions and it pretty well suited exactly what I was after.

Anyway to cut a long story short I ordered one today on the net - don't know if I should/can mention the name of store here, but they are in Minchinbury, Sydney and was $200 cheaper than anywhere else - that includes online and store shops with free delivery.
So am now awaiting delivery of my new Black Wolf Turbo 300. (and No I do not have any affliliation with these tents, camping stores etc)

Regards,
BigPop
(I never get lost because everyone tells me where to go)
FollowupID: 352817

Sponsored Links