Cooper ATR vs BFG AT KO- are they any good?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 15:33
ThreadID: 19180 Views:6111 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just trying to find if anyone runs cooper ATR? I am looking at putting them
on my Prado (17" wheels). I know BFG AT Ko are good tires except
when it is muddy, but what about coppers? Anyone can shed sime light
why would you get Coopers ATR for $ 345 per tire vs. BFG AT KO for $279?

Thanks,

Stan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Johnno1 - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 17:51

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 17:51
Coopers from what I have heard around here.
AnswerID: 92074

Reply By: MRTEE ( VIC ) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 22:22

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 22:22
I would go the coopers AT over the BFG every time because if you look closely at the tread thay have the abillty to self clean; BFG are hopeless thay stay claged up with dirt due to the tread pattern. BFG are a hard wearing tyre and the only choice 10 years ago but thay have had there day; more and more people are changing over to the coopers I have the coopers ST on my discovery and thay are great cheers Tony
AnswerID: 92102

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 22:54

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 22:54
I have the Cooper A/T on my Prado and have had no probs so far. They have been good. The ATR is only a new release and I think it replaces the A/T in the line up. I have got one of these but have not put it on the car yet (2nd spare).

The ATR looks quite different from the A/T in that the shoulder seems much squarer which should reduce the chance of sidewall staking and damage and also it has a solid centre tread block. This may apparantly improve the traction on wet bitumen.

When this set wears out I will probably put on a full set of ATR's. As an eveolution of the Cooper A/T the ATR seems a good all rounder for highway and moderate offroad work. I am looking to a secondary set of Goodyear Wranlger MTR's or maybe Cooper S/Ts as a dedicated off road set, budget permitting!

Can't comment on the BFG other than to say that a collegue has them on his 90 series Prado and they seem to be lasting very well. He has been talking for months about replacing them but they just don't seem to be wearing out! The last couple of mm of legal tread seems to last for thousands of kays.

Good luck with your choice.
Muddy
AnswerID: 92103

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:18

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:18
I am fitting the ATR in a 295/55/20 for road tyres, as they are a reasonable AT tyre, and without having done many km on them, to compare wear and wear noise increase, they have the edge over the newer BF AT's.
AnswerID: 92145

Sponsored Links