Garmin Blue Charts

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 21:29
ThreadID: 19188 Views:3719 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of whether it is possible to use Garmin's Blue Charts in Oziexplorer???
Thanks in advance
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 22:46

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 22:46
Never heard of them until now but if those charts are designed to be loaded into a GPS then no, they will be in the wrong format for Oziexplorer.
AnswerID: 91978

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:03

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 23:03
Hi Guys,

Just thought I would drop this bit of info in for all of us. The following bit in inverted commas is a brief description from the Garmin website on their Blue Charts. I didn't have a clue about it so this is what I turned up.

"Bluechart

BlueChart® cartography is Garmin's exclusive marine cartography. It complements Garmin's line of handheld mapping products and marine chartplotters. This line of cartography products is designed to provide interactive viewing of detailed nautical chart data, thereby providing navigators with innovative object-oriented cartography. These detailed electronic nautical charts look just like paper charts when displayed on your Garmin chartplotter. Paired with any of our plotters, BlueChart provides the detail of paper charts, giving you expanded coverage and extreme detail."

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 91980

Reply By: Member - Tim - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 00:54

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 00:54
Hi Wetty,

Any of the Garmin charts and maps are in a vector format which won't work in anything except their own Mapsource program. However the Mapsource program will give you most of what you can get from Oziexplorer it just can't work with anything except their own charts. Actually that's not quite true but from what i have been able to research on the net the process of creating your own vector chart is difficult enougn to make it that not many people bother. Wit hMapsource you can do all the same pre trip planning (loads tracks and waypoints backwards and forwards etc) or run the PC as a moving map. I had my Garmin 276C in the boat the other day and uploaded the track to the PC when we got back and could see exectly where we had been, could see the distance and time etc and stored it away to look at later.

Tim.
AnswerID: 92112

Follow Up By: Wetty (W.A) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 20:39

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 20:39
Hi Tim.
I have had some experience with Mapsource, I used it in the Goldfields when I was working up there. I even downloaded the World Map onto this dinosaur of a computer, but it took up 200 megs so I saved it to disc and lost one of the integral executables to run it. . . . . DOH! Looks like I will have to scan some charts and set them up in Ozi.
Thanks for the reply.
Andrew
FollowupID: 351102

Sponsored Links