Touring Tassy

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 22:57
ThreadID: 19192 Views:2248 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We're looking towards Tassy in February for a 10 day break. Never been there before, we'll take the Disco over on the ferry. We'll no doubt do the regular tourist spots, but any tips on places to go in the wilderness, day runs or camping spots.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Casnat - Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 00:01

Sunday, Jan 09, 2005 at 00:01
we went over last xmas with the Patrol. Didn't really set out to do much 4wd but I got my way at one stage and we went about half way on a 4wd track to Montezuma falls (on the west side). We went in just after a reasonable rain and it was like the creek was flowing down the track! I reackon it wouldn't have been a problem but you know how it can be with a nervous SWMBO. I crumbled to pressure and we turned back about 1/2 way in.

It looked like an interesting but pretty easy track in the right weather (I thought it was pretty interesting in the weather we had just between you and me but with the wife and 2 kids on board and with a week of booked travelling ahead of us.....you know how far you can push things. Vehicle capabilities aren't the issue in such circumstances ...when potential divorce is on the cards...she's a city girl).

I'm sure a bit of googleing will give you the same info that it gave me.

Let me know what it is like if you go there even if just so I can feel bad about not pressing on.

Cheers

Trevor
AnswerID: 91989

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:27

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:27
We are on the way home now after four and a half weeks in Tassie. Great place. In Canberra now and expect to be home in three or four days.

There is a book available called four wheel drive tracks of Tasmania by Chris (can't remember the surname) - we found and bought it on the day we left Tassie. It's packed away now but as soon as we get home and unpack I'll submit the details.

I've been doing an online journal of our trip. You might get some info from that.

Try http:www.users.on.net/~pancho/index.htm

We didn't get off road as much as we would like - heard too many horror stories about how slippery and steep the terrain is, and too many stories about quicksand on the beaches. Being on our own and not enough research left us a bit hesitant.
AnswerID: 92117

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:58

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:58
10 days you will see nothing really, we did it in 10 days and regretted it. You wont get to do all the 'regular tourist spots' in 10 days! Let alone do day trips.

I think Crazy or someone is there now doing it in 7 days. Wait see what he says on return..
AnswerID: 92166

Reply By: Member - Wendy - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 13:14

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 13:14
Spent 6 months there, with van - and still didn't see it all! Will take longer to get places than you think - rds narrow, winding. Watch out for timber trucks! If you like daywalks, camp at Cradle Mt & Lk St Clair. Dover has nice caravan park to use as base to explore area sth of Hobart. Campground at Mt Field Nat Park good base to explore the park, Strathgordon and sth as far as rd goes (recommend this - great scenery). Prefer Queenstown caravan park as base rather than Strahan - do the restored train ride there. We found Macquarie Harbour boat trip over rated. Good daywalk along Bird River to Pillinger Basin. Stanley is great little place - good caravan park, too.
AnswerID: 92185

Sponsored Links