Radiator fan problems

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:11
ThreadID: 19248 Views:3338 Replies:11 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
We have had more probs up this way with 100 series turbos fans going into radiators while going thru even shallow water. Apparently the turbos have a thicker radiator. The fan blades are very flexible and the radiators fairly fragile.
Anyone know of a replacement fan, we are experimenting with a 60 series fan which is much more durable tho different off set. Another alternative I am looking at is crim safe mesh between the shroud and radiator. I now know of at least a dozen T\D cruisers up this way with this problem and Toyota themselves are well aware of it. I went into a radiator repairers today to ask about fans and he showed me 5 damaged radiators. Major worry for me as the OTL will be much wetter this year. Anyone have an answer for this problem??? And no I don't want to buy a Nissan I have had one before.

Cheers,
Rob Berrill
www.4wdtraining.com
White 100 Series TD 5 Speed auto,
Bilstien suspension .
OE Mags, alloy B\Bar and roof rack,
Lightforce XGT, tint, UHF radio,
BFG AT 285\75 tires.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fozzy - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:33

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:33
rob
is it a case of water getting sucked in from underneath radiator or from around side or directly through grill????
AnswerID: 92327

Reply By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:59

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:59
Hi Rob, I'd think your on the right path looking at stiffer blades. Unless that is Toyota come up with a fix that they will do at nil cost. I guess what ever you do will/may have some consequential effect, ie using the crim safe barrier may wear or destroy the orginal blades and using stiffer blades may reduce air flow or...... Or other fixes may involve quite a bit of time and money.

As a side note and not starting a toyota is better than nissan thread but in your work you'd certainly get to drive and see both brands. I spoke to another major off road tour group in Alice Springs and they had Toyotas but said he'd rather patrols but got a much better deal when buying landcruisers. His reasoning was the strength of the motor and drive train in the patrol. So what's your take on it, for heavy towing/load carrying, and off road work, reliability etc which IN YOUR VIEW is better, or which have you had better luck with??

AnswerID: 92333

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:45

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:45
Not trying to start Nissan v Toyota HA
very loaded question I have driven only toyotas and have never had an issue with drivetrain or motor which includes way overloading them with samples over rough pit floors. Springs do break. I have used Toyotas for some very heavy duty work but unfortunately I have not got to put a nisssan through same stuff otherwise I might finally be able to better answer this Q
Best answer I heard was "as there is no clear winner the debate rages on"
FollowupID: 351187

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:58
Wan't trying to start another but Rob was saying he had driven both so thought he might have some valuable info. I tend to think the same, both are as good as each other just different.
FollowupID: 351195

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:12

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:12
you got me thinking a bit more about asking peoples opinions. I used to work with mapping geos that had worked in a few different countries so I asked a simular question and got told that the worst vehicle she had been in was a landrover. When I pumped her for more info expecting tales of blown diffs wrecked motors etc she replied "hasnt got a dash on it like this one (hzj78) I had no where to put my maps and photos"
FollowupID: 351270

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:30
True, depends on what emphasis you put on what area I guess.
FollowupID: 351279

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 00:42

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 00:42
Thougt long and hard about whether I wanted to get involved in this one but here goes a persoal opinion only. I feel the Patrols have stronger drive trains better diffs specially the LSD also a good h\brake The Tojo has better lower range transfer casebleepty LSD and h\brake. The 4.2 lt diesels in both are much of a muchness and in both trucks some are slugs and some go like the clappers, lots of variation from someone who has driven lots of both. I feel the Tojos generally have a stronger tighter coach builder than Nissan tho I have driven a few very poor 80 series specially the first 4.5 petrols. Up here Tojos hold their value very well. I feel the tojos are getting softer each model where as the Patrols have stayed tuff. Just as a matter of interest I bought a new Pajero GLS 3.5 lt in 97 $45k It was a ripper car till now the best compromise 4wd I had owned, but 3 years later could only get $28k for it, the most I have ever lost on a vehicle in such a short time. I currently have an 100 series 03 T\D auto that I bought 18 months old 58k klms that best suits my use as a tour guide. You can not buy a bad vehicle today the trick is to buy the one that best suits your intended use. Here endeth the lesson.
Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 351452

Follow Up By: Austravel - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:31
Well said. Generally what I thought but having only driven a few of each didn't feel like I had enough experience to make the decission. Thanks
FollowupID: 351470

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:37

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:37
Rob,
In those cases where the radiator has suffered damage, has/have the owner/s had a blind across the grille as recommended by anybody worth their salt in the training business?
Also, what about the possibility of disabling the fan before proceeding through water? This could be done by tethering the blades to a fixed position.....would require a small hole to be drilled through a blade near the outer end; stop motor, rotate blade until hole is near top, place piece of wire through hole and attach other end of wire to something in engine bay (eg: top radiator hose?), proceed through water crossing and then remove wire(stop engine first!!!).
AnswerID: 92338

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:56
I thought this trick could destroy the fan clutch.
FollowupID: 351193

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:58
Get a switch fitted and turn the fans off when in the water.
Suggest a warning light to indicate that the fans are off.
Ray
AnswerID: 92350

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:11

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:11
How do you turn the fans off - afaik they are the same fluid/clutch fan but sit a bit closer to the radiator due to its thickness. not electric
FollowupID: 351229

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:25

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:25
NOw I am going back in tike a bit...afore some of you young fellas were 4wd-ing...and before viscous fans were heard of............

It was in the Territory Top End and we used to do numerous water crossings with water regularly over the bonnet driving little Suzuki 2strokes. The plastic non viscous fan would suck forward and make a mess of the radiator. One bright spark in the club made up a galvanised plate with a handle which would slide between the radiator and the fan and so stop any damage. We all followed his lead.

The easiest way to stop the fan going through the radiator on these modern 4bies is to drill a hole in one fan blade and when going through deep water crossings secure it with an Ocky-strap. Too easy!
AnswerID: 92378

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:59

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 12:59
I thought back in those days befor a/c and p/s you just pulled off the 1 fan belt. Saw a fixed blade cruiser stop in only 700mm water coz the fan chucked water all over it (petrol) at the King Edward river crossing. Quite funny as Hubby (German couple) was on the other side waiting for his missus to cross so he could get the photo (I rescued them with a can of crc)
FollowupID: 351246

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 13:21
Willem - that's exactly what i did when setting up the Patrol for comp work - drilled a hole in one blade and fixed a piece of wire that is connected to the shroud at the other end. When I'm about to do a water or deep mud course, I slip the wire (with a hooked end) into the hole in the blade and she stops running - and slips against the viscous clutch for the crossing. As soon as I'm clear, I disconnect the blade.
FollowupID: 351252

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 13:07

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 13:07
The problem isn't confined to TD cruisers, I know of two base models that have done the same thing.
AnswerID: 92400

Reply By: fozzy - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:01

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:01
rob
if u are going down track of alternative fan perhaps could drop in to local dealer in cairns and compare fans they carry in stock-should have fair range to compare yours to.
ask for tony-used to work with him in melb-was nice bloke but havent seen him in over 10 yrs
AnswerID: 92417

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 19:43

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 19:43
G'Day Fozzy,
Yep I know Tony, still a good bloke. At this stage, according to the dealer here in Cairns, depite the numbers that are appearing, Toyota are claiming driver error. Found an after market fan with much stiffer blades designed for the 80 series which itself has much stiffer blades. When I went to install it I found there was already damage to my radiator but no leak yet. I have not been through water deeper than about 300 mm or 12 " I spoke to my mechanic who has already had one radiator relaced and we had a look at his new radiator and it was also damaged again. He had only driven to Rocky and back since putting the radiator in and was at a loss to know what had caused it. Was he everbleepoff he had spent $1100 on a new radiator and damaged again. I would advise anyone who has a 100 series cruiser to have a very close look at the back of the radator before any damage is done to thier engine. Please let me know if you find anything. I have heard, hersay I admit, that some insurance companies have had to pay out considerable amounts for engines damaged this way. Guys I have owned and driven mainly Tojos for over 30 years and obviously have a soft spot for them. Depite the problem my current 100 TD is the best I have owned. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 351393

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 19:31
Rob,

I have noticed that a lot of new vehicles are prone to water on the fan. Had a 3 week old Hilux with a neat circle in the radiator and the water didn't cover the bull bar.

From what I have seen the water is not going through the radiator but come up from under the radiator and then onto the fan.

It might pay to have a look under the front and see if water can come there. A cover plate from the bottom of the bull bar to behind the fan might be the go.
I think TJM has some type of shield to stop this, but can't be sure.

My 80 Series never had a problem but it had about 90mm between the fan and the radiator.

Wayne

AnswerID: 92488

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 21:23

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 21:23
Rob,

Just got back from the car wash (love day light saving). While I was washing the Troopie I was thinking about your problem, (tour guides can do two things at once). the water must be coming from under the vehicle. If you have a interclooer, air con condenser and a radiator, that is a lot for water to get through. I would think that a lot of water is needed to bend the blades on the fan.

The bottom part of the cowling could be acting like a ventury(spell) and suck the water back onto the fan. Maybe a cover could be made to go further under the fan. Just a thought.

Wayne
AnswerID: 92524

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 21:55
Wayne the fan blades are very very flexible much more so than any previous Tojo 4wd I have seen. I keep wondering why " if it ain't broke why change things" Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 351425

Reply By: Tuco - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 22:49

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 22:49
G'day Rob, is there any reason that the Tojo viscous coupled fan couldn't be removed completely and replaced with a thermo - electric fan?
I used to have an F150 4x4 which had that conversion done - without any problems.

Tuco in Cairns
AnswerID: 92548

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 22:04
Seems like nobody has done anything yet. I would be most inclined to try Willem's wire solution. On the 100 series forum, I asked about cable ties which was Willem's partner in crime ( Travel ) - Uncle's solution to the problem. I have easily bent my fan blades forward to touch the radiator. The aluminium parts of the radiator are so soft that even brushing them flattens the fins so I can' see that sliding something in would be a safe thing to do. I have heard of people making a small cylinder (eg 1cm deep and a bit smaller than the diameter of the fan) out of tin and mounting it on the back of the radiator so that when the blades flex forward, they hit on the cylinder and not the radiaor. Hard thing to mount with the radiator being fins being so soft.

Let us know if you find a solution as it certainly makes me anxious crossing streams now.

Andrew
AnswerID: 92725

Sponsored Links