Hilux Canopy Racks - How much weight??

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:25
ThreadID: 19259 Views:2583 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there

Just after some opinions on how much weight would be safe to carry atop a 91 hilux being as they have a reasonably narrow wheelbase, just worried about rollovers mainly. I'm planning on putting a spare tyre on a split rim, gas bottle, Hi Lift Jack and a shovel up there, so I'm thinking it will roughly weight around the 70 kg mark. The racks are rated to carry 150 kg but don't want to carry that much.
Am wanting to know if anyone has done similar and their experience with body roll etc.

Cheers
Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:56

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 14:56
tough one needs vs weight vs space is this for one trip or in general? unless you are really going back of beyonderup which you probably are seeing as you have a hilux you could look at cutting back - for instance seeing as they are splitties you could take just the tyre (if you have appropriate gear) I have a hi lift but wouldnt take it anywhere I wouldnt reasnable expect help easily if the need arose. otherwise whatch your speed (easy to do in a hilux) and be cautios of sideslopes. can the hi lift be carried standing up in the tray or even mounted to the roobar (do not drive past Harold scrub with it there)
AnswerID: 92432

Follow Up By: Member - Spook (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 15:35
G'day Davoe

It's really just an issue for one trip in March, going up thru the centre, across the top and down the West coast before settling on your side of the country.
I have got another option for the Hi Lift (inside the canopy mounted to the supporting bars for the racks) which may be a better option.

Thanks
Brad
FollowupID: 351309

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jan 11, 2005 at 23:09
Hi Spook

Thats a lot of wheight at the back, maybe racks for the cab to better balance weight distribution. I carried 2 widies ( tyres only) on top and 1 complete underneath in hanger. Previous trip I had splits on with 1 complete and 1 do-nut, both under the back. As you know, limit the weight you carry and get the weighty things low. Can you rig your hilift and shovel accross the inside of the b/bar, assuming your b/bar is straight. It moves some weight froward and lower?

Cheerz
Andy
AnswerID: 92550

Follow Up By: Member - Spook (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:54
So are you saying you had two spares on the hanger underneath? I had thought of doing this but I thought it might decrease ground clearance a little too much, how did you find it? Otherwise it sounds like a good option.
Thanks for the reply.
FollowupID: 351476

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:24

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:24
Spook

Yes
I had 1 complete tire/rim with a "tire only" stacked on top and then winched up into normal hanger position(7.50 X 16's all round). The "tire only" allows a bit of compression when winched up into position due to no air in it. Minimal loss of clearance with 2 cheese cutters here.
In your pics you have widies on. Are you only taking 1 split as a spare plus a widie? If so, yes the clearance with 1 wide and 1 split will be different. Reduce air
I can see your towbar tounge is quite low and I doubt very much if a double stack (c/cuters) will be lower. I see you have the tyre plier kit also, they make light work of splits and tubeless also with some practice. If your tyres have been on the splits for a while, break the bead on all before you travel. This is the hardest part of repair/ change. I leant this the hard way.

Cheerz
Andy
AnswerID: 92677

Follow Up By: Member - Spook (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:41

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:41
Wisey

Yeah I'll be running my fats while away but both my spares will be skinny splits. So I might try as you suggest and place them both up underneath and reduce the pressure in them a bit...

Thanks
Brad
FollowupID: 351554

Sponsored Links