1992 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Diesel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:53
ThreadID: 19285 Views:5275 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Excuse my ignorance fellas (and gals ) but what model is a Nissan Patrol 1992 4.2 diesel , believe Ford Maverick is same but with the Ford badge ?? Have been told the transmission ( manual ) is very robust and is a fairly honest machine .
No doubt as with all vehicles they would have faults , would like to know what they are and what sort of $$$$ s i would expect to pay for one in good nick . I realise most would have high ks but looking for one which has had engine rebuild .
As far as outward appearances go they seem to look very narrow across the beam , limited storage space as compared to a Toyota ?? Would appreciate your expert comments !!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:56

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:56
2 is a GQ patrol.motor is a TD42. Motor and gearbox have great reputation.....diffs are almost unbreakable. Narrow across the beam? (no) Limited storage space as compared to a tojo?(are u on a wind up?) Overall for the money you will pay and the age of the car it will be a good buy if you are looking to spend $12-18k.
AnswerID: 92575

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 08:54

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 08:54
As above, its a GQ, and Yes, the Ford Mav is essentially the same. The only real differences between the GQ's and Mavs , is the equipment level.

The GQ had self wind windows etc , where as the Mav had Lecky windows and central locking. Mechanically , Identical.
AnswerID: 92582

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:32
Ignorance You said it all. Where have you been living the past 15 years?
AnswerID: 92592

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:54
Brian,
A reasonably well-maintained GQ with the TD42 donk would be good for well over 500,000klm before needing re-build, especially if it hasn't been turbo'd (IMHO). There would be plenty of examples of that would fit that criteria.
The GQ has a few foibles to look out for, none of which is very serious. Look for signs of rust along the side cargo area sliding windows (unless it's a DX which had fixed plate windows and didn't have that problem). Of course look for signs under the body of hard work; eg dings in the diff housings, scrapes on the sump/gearbox (noting that these items are very well tucked up and you'd have to be doing serious rock crawling to damage them).
Under the bonnet there are no "typical" faults that I am aware of.........just do your usual checks for leaks etc; speaking of which, it has recently come to light that the low sulphur diesel now available is having an adverse effect of fuel pump seals, so you'd want to get that checked out.
Good luck.
AnswerID: 92599

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:44

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:44
Ive had both petrol and diesel gq patrols,the advice that Roachie has given is right on the money.I love these wagons and had them for over 10years now.For value for money they are great
regards uppy
FollowupID: 351489

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:43

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:43
Your lookin for one with an engine rebuild? Mate ripped the head off his at 560,000klms, you could see the cross hatching in the bores from BRAND NEW STILL....

What things to look out for www.gqpatrol.com theres a check list of things to look for on GQ's.

What would you expect to pay? Anything from $8k for garbage, upto $25k for a fully kitted one.
Mate sold his immaculate 91mod for $18k with storage, radios, bar, 33 MTR's, winch bar, denco turbo, did I say it was immaculate (he polished it more than drove it)...

Depends on what you would expect. Narrow? What do you want to carry inside? Take a trip to your local Nissan club property and see how much people fit in a GQ easily.. 10000's of people tripping the outback, FNQ etc dont have problems packing it in to a GQ or 80, but most pack too much.
AnswerID: 92762

Reply By: Brian - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 03:15

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 03:15
Thanks to Brew 69 , Flappan ,Roachie ,Uppy and Truckster for their helpful comments .
Now Willem , you are ok , its the humans i am worried about !!!
AnswerID: 92927

Sponsored Links