Dangerous 4wds

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:38
ThreadID: 19289 Views:2232 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I cant help but wonder how dangerous a 4wd can be when compared with 90% of the tradesmans vehicles on our roads. I speak mainly from a WA perspective because it is here I work and here I see hundreds of hi aces, town aces etc.
These vehicles have a very high centre of gravity, a narrower track than most 4x4's and when this is combined with a roof fack loaded up with many many kilos of ladders, conduit copper pipe etc you have to wonder how a 4wd can be singled out as dangerous!
If you accept that 4x4's are as dangerous as some would have us believe, logically, there would be work vehicles on their sides at every bend in the road....funny that I dont see this at all, in fact I cant recall seeing one in all of my driving life.
Just thought I would throw this in as an arguement against the 4x4 bashers.
Jeff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:54

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:54
yep

it would hurt just as much i reckon
AnswerID: 92608

Reply By: beatit - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:18

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:18
G'day Jeff,

Couldn't agree more! Lets not forget the trucks, buses and heavy machinery that frequent the roads. Basically the driving world is a dangerous place and I heard that it is the insurance companies with an axe to grind because 4wds leave a big mess of the other vehicle when they have a bingle. So I believe its an insurance company conspiracy to make our lives a misery, they fuel other organisations into 4wd hatred - bastards!

Kind regards
AnswerID: 92609

Reply By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:02

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:02
Also, Woobla, have a look at the state of repair/maintenance of a lot of those traddies vans/utes/station wagons. A lot of them are wrecks, usually overloaded to buggery with nothing tied down, bum dragging on the ground, nose pointing to the heavens......
Absolute death trap in an accident.
How come no one complains about them??????
AnswerID: 92616

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:10

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:10
Absolutally, even our brand new Mitsuishi express drives like a pig, needs the perth international runway to stop for traffic lights and changes lanes when the driver next to you sneezes in your direction!
And that's our "good" van!!!

I drove the "crappy" van home last night as I had to move my boxing bag frame etc and it's the only one that is'nt filled up with tools etc. Man, I can't even get the peice of crap into 5th gear as the gear leaver pushes so hard against my leg, you touch the brakes and the back wheels lock up it's got less power than Mark Lathem and you know if you hit anything your more screwed than a $2 bleeper.

And our vans are serviced on the dot and are probally in much better condition than half the utes and vans that the "one man band" tradies are using. My neighbour is a brick paver and you should see the old facon panny he lugs his trailer full of heavy tools around with. Blimey it's scarey I can tell you!
FollowupID: 351498

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 14:19

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 14:19
I get very annoyed about the constant sniping at 4 wheelers and their drivers. Why don't they look at the obstructions caused by Mum in her tarted up delivery van full of screaching kids careering along the roads barely under control?
Or buses, trucks and other vehicles which because of their size, other incompetent drivers (all drivers they not just women) "can't see round or past".
Why don't our "Blind to everything except speeding" police in WA do what's in their power to educate the useless idiots behind the wheel?
I saw one on a motorbike recently overtake a ute loaded with fabricated metal, whose front wheels were hardly touching the ground wandering over 2 lanes of the Kinana Freeway.
The copper looked in the opposite direction and ignored it, probably because it wasn't speeding at the time.
The builders oik just up the road is typical, filthy trailer with no lights, bald tyres, overloaded, and has never got a ticket in the 10 years he's been driving it!
FollowupID: 351515

Reply By: Top Cat - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 14:13

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 14:13
Absolute, complete and utter rubbish.

There is NO such thing as a dangerous 4wd and in fact there is NO such thing as a dangerous vehicle........fullstop.

They dont start themselves up and start racing arround.

Is a hammer dangerous??........no........but the dill that picks it up and throws it is.

Same with a vehicle..........none of them are dangerous but all are capable of being used as a weapon by a human being that wants to use it that way.

Human beings are dangerous.

If we started having registration checks on humans, we could weed out all the goof balls and the roads would be safer.

Dont blame the vehicles........blame the idiots behind the wheels.

And while many of you will pick on the younger brigade, I actually think its people who use public transport during the week and only ever drive on the weekend that are the biggest danger..........they are not used to driving in traffic and they stand out like dogs balls on the weekend.
AnswerID: 92641

Follow Up By: Woobla (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 16:12

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 16:12
My point exactly Topcat.
If comercial vehicles dont fall over the way they are loaded, then the only logical conclusion would be that the drivers are lacking in a little education or..dare I say..there is a conspiracy against the freedom offered to owners of the humble 4x4.
Whatever it is it is not the vehicle!
Jeff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 351527

Follow Up By: dano01 - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 18:53

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 18:53
Exactly, a 4wd is only as dangerous as the person behind the wheel. And also the young idiots with jacked to the max 4bies that race around like toy racers and never use them as designed that give us a bad name as well.
FollowupID: 351566

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:23
Amongst the tradesman vans, mothers shopping trolleys, dont forget the doof doof cars. You now the little Jap imports with the 6" exhaust tips and the badges down the drivers door like victim scores on Japanese Zeros.

Or then there is the Aboriginal cars out in the bush that carry 16 adults, 12 kids, 8 dogs but have no front windscreen so the cops cant sticker it.

Yep here in the West unless you speed or drive drunk the cops arn't interested.

Years ago i lived next to a office worker, he kept a old dodge ute with a Cement Mixer on the back, that was his Pub Car. Reckoned that cops never stopped a tradesman as they rely on their licence.

Things haven't rely changed.

AnswerID: 92655

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:26

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 15:26
I drive both a 1997 Mitsubishi Express and a Holden Jackaroo(not at the same time mind you).I carry an extension ladder on top as well as conduit and sometimes a steel property pole as well which would all up weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 300kg+ Now I have often had problems driving the express when the wind is up and coming on side on. You pass a few houses on a back road and than you hit empty paddock and you can feel your van wanting to shift sideways. All you can do is slow down and drive to the conditions. But if the road is good and no wind I have no problem driving 100KPH and taking corners at 20KPH more than the advisory signs state. Never once have I felt like "tipping" over at any stage. The way vans are designed they are a safe vehicle.Same as 4WD are a safe vehicle. I agree that having the weight close to the ground helps a car from "rolling" but the centre of gravity people speak of is often over stated. The only time that becomes an issue is when you drive off road where the road is not always level but can put a vehicle an an angle which could lead to tipping of the vehicle but that angle would need to be steep for that to happen.

The media are taking all this "4WD drives are dangerous" attitude and twisting it to get you to watch the tv and get them ratings and they don't care if the truth is bent in the process.These days they have all sorts of "surveys" to prove something to suit themselves. How often are the Questions "loaded" to make the conclusion seem a particular way.

Damn,my soapbox has collapsed from underneath me from overuse. Excuse me while I get a new one.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 92656

Reply By: Flash - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 16:33
Nah, you're all wrong.
4WD's should be banned, so should Bull Bars.
Then also Trucks buses, road trains, ordinary trains, trees, power poles and more.
All of these have been responsible for killing people.
Whoops, I better include bicycles, Oh- and "ordinary" cars. Bloody hell- where do I stop.
In case I missed anything, we'd better lower the speed limit dramatically- we might then get the road toll down to a manageable level.
(PEOPLE couldn't be the problem....could they..... rather than the vehicles they are driving????)
AnswerID: 92669

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:01

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 17:01
sssh Do not give the WA Govt ideas.
FollowupID: 351540

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 19:10

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 19:10
I drive a "Misty Express" for work, have it serviced regular and simply drive to the conditions.... I typically have three ladders on the roof and a conduit holder. The cargo area is stacked with tools and equipment but it still will pull 100k's on the Pac Highway. However..... give it a slug of sideways breeze and we have to hold on!!!!!! So the answer is too drive a little slower when the wind is up.

Now my Nissan.... that's a diiferent thing altogether... it doesn't drift around on the highway.... it stays where it should be!! Much safer.

I just read about the family of that little boy who was killed by a 4X4 bull bar..they're campaigning to have bull bars banned. The police won't charge the driver with anything... tragic that the little boy lost his life and I would hate for it to happen to one of my kids... but if the police won't charge the driver.... I take it then that he wasn't doing anything wrong??? (Guessing here!) If that's the case, did the boy run out in front of the 4by???? Still doesn't deserve to lose his life, for sure.... but it ain't like the bull bar jumped at him is it??? (Before anyone flames me for this... my sympathy lies with the boys family, as I said... it's a tragedy!!!!)
It's just not the fault of the bull bar.
AnswerID: 92691

Reply By: member-Diamond(vic) - Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:28

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2005 at 21:28
yep you gotta love them 4wd bashers.
had a local guy lose control of his car(note not 4wd)and hit a pole and died.
crap he lost control wasnt watching/drunk/not paying atention/any number of other things.
no big news after all it wasnt a 4by.
AnswerID: 92714

Sponsored Links