Tasmania

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:38
ThreadID: 19320 Views:2034 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi fellow formulites. I'm doing a trip around Tasmania in February/March & part of it was to traverse down the west coast. Can anybody tell me if you can travel from Arthur River on the north west coast down to Strahn following the tracks indicated on the Hema map of Tasmania. If so has anyone got any details of road/track conditions. I have been told that there has been a lot of rain in that area recently.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:51

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:51
Further to my first post. I have seen the trek notes of the area on this site & was looking for any other tracks in the Arthur Pieman Conservation Park. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
AnswerID: 92777

Reply By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 15:07

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 15:07
Topcat
Have a look at www.roving.com.au
They have a guide book of all the 4WD tracks in Tas.
I have just had the thought that the book may be on sale via this site.(My mind isn't what it used to be. too muck red wine)
Vince
AnswerID: 92822

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 18:00

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 18:00
Thanks for the info Vince. My mind gets into that state too this time of year. I'll look it up & see what they have. Cheers.
FollowupID: 351789

Reply By: Roger From Tassie - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 22:30

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 22:30
Hi Topcat
Buy the book previously mentioned and you can't go wrong.

Couple of comments.

If you go to Sandy Cape ask the Rangers at Arthur River what the Sandy Cape beach is like (You need to get a permit there anyway). We've never had a problem in summer but the locals tell some good quicksand horror stories. There is a trek that continues past Sandy Cape to the Interview River and then goes on to the mouth of the Pieman River. I think that it is now "technicaly" closed past the Interview. If its not don't go there alone & go well prepared with lots of recover gear. Its a great drive but expect problems including seriously scratched paintwork (especially past the Interview). Years ago you used to be able to get a homemade punt across the Pieman. Those days are gone.

If you do the Balfour track take the comments in the book about not bypassing the waterhole seriously. Go straight thru. In my early 4wd days I tried to go around. Not good. Black soil is bottomless and I was one my own.

The book has various treks along the west coast. All nice runs and worth doing. They kind of all string together making for a great drive. Usually no problems at that time of year but ask the locals as you go.

It is techically possible to drive from Trial Harbour to Strahan along the beach. I know of a group that did it summer before last. Don't try it though. You've got to get across the Henty & Little Henty Rivers. Its rare for that to be safe.

All this will probably make more sense once you have the book in front of you.

Have a great trip
AnswerID: 92883

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 23:19

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 23:19
Hi Roger, thanks for the reply. I have already set the wheels in motion to get a copy. Maybe we can make contact while the Missus & I are over there. My email address is on my URL. Cheers.
FollowupID: 351852

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 19:45
I didn't do this myself but I spoke to a family that drove South from Smithton through Balfour to Corinna in a late 90's Suburu Outback. They said it was just fairly good gravel.

On the same map have a look at the dirt road marked that goes from Judbury to Lachlan just West of Hobart. I got to the RH bend above Jubury before i turned back. It may be marked on the map as a dirt road but it is very rough and at that bend I was in low 1st with vegetation scratching all sides of the car and very muddy in places. Needed OziExplorer and GPS to stay on the right track too as there are many offshoot tracks. Looks like where the locals go 4wding.

We turned back due to our inverter dying so had a low battery in the laptop and it was about 6pm. My Wife was freaking too as we were by ourselves.

Would have been fun to complete though :-) Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 93982

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 21:02
Hi Utemad,thanks for the info.
FollowupID: 352945

Sponsored Links