Lovick's Hut - disturbing news, anyone else heard anything?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:40
ThreadID: 19321 Views:2950 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Had a disturbing message in another forum in my email this morning.

Anyone else know anything about this?? I'm surprised it hasn't rated a mention here if it's true. I have no reason to doubt them. Geocachers usually know where they are, I just really really hope they wrong this time.

Dave

Log Date: 1/13/2005
Hi all.

We recently did a trip very similar to this one, had a great time and I'm sure you all will too. Just thought I would mention that Lovicks Hut is currently a pile of rubble waiting to be rebuilt and the area is fenced off, although there is plenty of room around to camp if need be.

Have a great trip.

Name deleted

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:54

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:54
We have just returned and found this to be true however the research we carried out was that it has been dismantled to discourage 4wd but I must express it is a RUMOUR.
Very dissapointing.
Go and visit Moroka hut. What a top spot however you cant camp but it is a great lunch spot.
AnswerID: 92778

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:12

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:12
You have to be kidding.

If you tried to knock down a building with that much heritage attached to it and as old as it was in Collins St or any other built up area you'd have people chained to it and as more objections lodged than a team of beauracrats could handle in a year.

If this really is the case then it stinks of something most foul.

We were up there in late April and Lovick's were still mustering and chasing strays. What ever your views on cattle on the high plains and I'm not a fan, the huts have a heritage value far beyond that of many other heritage listed buildings. There are many cases where 4wd clubs and bushwalking groups have taken over maintenance to ensure their future. Who was consulted over this?

How many other huts aren't heritage listed and where do we apply to get them listed if they aren't?

Christ look at the outcry when they talked about dismantling Craig's Hut and it was only a movie prop with no cultural significance, it probably has some credibility now given the success of the movie but it's still just a prop. There was a huge debate about it being left there and the damage 4wd's were doing.

Imagine if they decided now that they no longer wanted to have 4wds up there and it disappeared before next weekend!

If they can do one they can do more....

Dave
AnswerID: 92783

Follow Up By: jackablue - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:17

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:17
Up at craigs hut the other week, & there was a couple of guys fixing it up. The other thing I noticed was a vehicle counter on the track!
FollowupID: 351667

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:16

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:16
I have numerous photos of it from Nov I did 2 trips, and 1 in May.. check my site www.gqpatrol.com

I agree - wonder how many other huts will go.
I do admit there are a few that are REALLY REALLY bad.. one of them (cant think the name) the main beam of the structure is broken in 2, and is less than head height at the moment... They need repair
AnswerID: 92785

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:39

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:39
Okay, a few phone calls and I thought I'd either start rattling cages or fighting fires.

Before this tendril of smoke becomes a 50 response raging bushfire I'll post some factual info.

When I was up there in April there were acro props holding up a section of the roof.

Lovick's have had a report done on the state of the hut which the family still use for horse trail ride accommodation and when they are mustering. The report rated it as structurally unsound and recommended reconstruction rather than repair.

Many of the huts up in the Victorian High Country have been through several incarnations as a result of fire, partial collapses or other damage.

Lovick's applied to the department and after a trip all the way to the secretary of the Department of Sustainability and Environmnet the relevant pieces of paper got the rubber stamp.

In the next month or so a new hut will be constructed utilising as much of the existing huts material as is possible. The new hut will be a little smaller with a steeper roof pitch to take the heavy snow loads of winter, something no doubt responsible for the state of the roof beams on the old hut.

Once constructed Charlie has had discussions with Parks regarding some post and rail fencing similar to that at Bluff Hut to better organise the vehicle parking around the hut.

The representative at Parks Vic Mansfield responsible for the huts in that area stated that 4wd access to the area was not an issue and that public access would be maintained. The decision was made purely on upkeep, maintenance and safety grounds by the Lovick's in consultation with Parks Vic/DSE.

I have suggested that they post something on www.parkweb.vic.gov.au as there was no information whatsoever on this issue to be found. Apparently the High Country Huts Assoc. and the VAFWDC were notified but I haven't checked their sites.

I'm glad I have photos of the old hut as it is now a piece of history.

Good news - for a change...

Dave
AnswerID: 92792

Follow Up By: snailbate - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 17:20

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 17:20
hi all
some people in my club were at the Doctors hut over Xmas and new year they put the beams on and clad the roof and painted this is all volentry work
snailbate
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 351780

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 18:09

Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 18:09
Thanx Dave, I was getting all misty! good info, much appreciated
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 351791

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:36

Wednesday, Jan 19, 2005 at 15:36
[ View Image]

Crack a can and shed a tear or two if you have to.

It's gone. All gone....

But it will be back!

ExploreOz members trip to christen it I reckon....

Dave
AnswerID: 93942

Sponsored Links