jackaroo roof rack and gearbox breather

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1934 Views:3421 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone suggest a suitable roof rack for a jackaroo.I have a Rola track mounted one at the moment but it flexes the roof when I carry something a bit heavy.Maybe one that attaches to the internal roof gutter which seems to be the most solid point would be the one.Also where are the breathers for the gearbox and transfer case located.I cant find them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Col - Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00
Steve,

If you are carrying a load too heavy for a Rola rack on your roof I would be concerned! Rola, Rhino, ARB, TJM and Oval all have racks that that mount to the three existing mounting points. They are all commonly available.

Col
AnswerID: 6458

Follow Up By: Geoff - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Steve just as Col said under the black strip that runs along the roof there is tape thats been painted over in 3 places, under the tape are holes were the Rhino brackets fit in to.I can stand up on the roof in any one of these points without the roof flexing. I carry a roof top tent and my wife and I sleep up top without any problems. What you have said about the roof flexing is why I got the Rhino set .

Regards Geoff
FollowupID: 2898

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 07, 2002 at 00:00
Steve ....there is a breather point on top of the gearbox on my 99 TD. Handles gearbox and crankcase too far as I know. Lifted my console and gearshift boot to get in there (if I remember right) when I did this central lot plus the diffs - couple of years back now - rear diff breathes right up into the rear pillar - front terminates just under the rear of the bonnet - glued a lawn mower air filter onto the hose to keep dirt out on suck ins....cheerz..dp
AnswerID: 6459

Reply By: Emjay - Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 09, 2002 at 00:00
Steve,

There's another rack brand well worth looking at. Go to www.roofracks.com (no au) for an Aussie manufacturer of a brilliant system that looks like Rola but has a lot of points that I think are far superior. Their biggest advantage is the fact that you can switch them to almost any vehicle whereas the other systems are pretty inflexible. They're also stronger and cheaper (because they only sell direct). I've got them and they're the best I've ever had. If you tell them your vehicle model they make sure you get the bits to fit your mounting points.

Michael
AnswerID: 6493

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 13, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the reply to my enquiries.I have located the roof rack mounting points and they seem much stronger than the rola rack track mounts.To DARIAN I have removed the cover over the gearbox housing and found a rubber tube connecting two sections of the gearbox (probaly the gearbox and transfer case) with one end terminating near the passengers side of the transfer case lever and there is another tube fitting (with no tube attached) on the drivers side.Can you recall if this is the breather.I have been unable to find anything else that looks like a breather.I also have a 99 t/d Jackaroo and it sounds like you have been investigating the workings of it.I hope you can help.
AnswerID: 6591

Sponsored Links