Inverters - mounting and cooling

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 13, 2005 at 23:37
ThreadID: 19342 Views:1903 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
So, Im lookin at this 500W pure inverter.

What sort of places do people mount them?

What sort of heat do they put out - obviously depending on what they are doing, but on average with few things on them. They have a fair amount of fins on them, so gather they must get warm or hot?

Tryin to figure out where to mount mine.

Cant wait for Dave and Michelle to Return
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 00:40

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 00:40
Hi Truckster, I've got my 800 watt inverter mounted in the false floor compartment behind the rear right wheel arch of my troopy. I've left about an inch clearance space around the top & sides, otherwise it's fully enclosed with the outlet panel showing. It's been in the vehicle for 10 years now & I've used pistol drills, grinders,impact wrenches etc & there's been no signs of overheating.
By the way David & Michelle should be back from their Tassie trip at the end of the month. I hope to pick their brains before I head off in that direction. Cheers.
AnswerID: 92914

Reply By: Chaz - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:41

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:41
Hi Truckster,

Most perminantly mounted inverters that I have seen are fitted to the cargo barrier. Plenty of ventilation there. Personally I have not mounted mine, but prefer to carry it in a plastic toolbox with an angle grinder mainly for tyre repairs so that I can use it away from the vehicle with a mobile battery pack. Also you don't need a pure sine wave job unless you want to run something with speakers such as a 240 volt radio or TV.
If your only using it for power tools and charging your appliance batterys and laptop, a square wave will do the job and you'll get a higher wattage one for the money.
Hope it helps

Chaz
AnswerID: 92925

Follow Up By: David Au - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:58

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:58
Chaz that sounds like a NSW Parks locked gate buster kit you have there.
FollowupID: 351907

Follow Up By: Chaz - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:49

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:49
David Au,

No no, I have a key for that! But it has proven to be very handy, dare I say it' " when I can't get the vehicle close enough to the job". Like when your doing some work on a fence for instance. drilling, grinding etc

Chaz
FollowupID: 351929

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 07:30

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 07:30
Truckster,

I had mine mounted on the cargo barrier in the 80 series and now in the Troopie. It is near a sliding window so that it easy to get to if power is required outside the vehicle.

I charge battries while I am driving which means that the inverter has to run for a couple of hours and for that reason I put it up high to help with the cooling.

A couple of heavy cables, I am using the cable from the Piranha dual battery isolater, and that supplies the power from the second battery.

Wayne
AnswerID: 92933

Sponsored Links