Fraser Island Condition

Submitted: Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:37
ThreadID: 19360 Views:1836 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a trip to Fraser in a week and was wondering what the current condition of the beach is, especially around the rocks and Hook Point. Most importantly, how far either side of low tide can you presently travel safely around these obstacles?
I am concerned about the effects the tropical cyclone has had on the accessibility at these pooints, and how getting off the beach throught the dunes to Dundubarra has been effected.
I am assuming the inland tracks have been cut up by the volume of traffic usually seen on the island this time of year, but if there is any info on what tracks to avoid or which ones are still in good condition, please let me know.

Basically, any info at all relevant to driving on the island at present would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sparkie (QLD) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:45

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:45
IDQ20065
BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY
Queensland Region
Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION BULLETIN
For 0435 EST on Friday the 14th of January 2005

Tropical cyclone Kerry overnight weakened into a tropical low with central
pressure 995 hPa. A small area of gales still exists south of its centre due to
the pressure gradient between the centre of the low and a large high near New
Zealand. The remnants of Kerry are expected to move south west and be within
130km of the coast early Sunday. A gale warning has been issued for coastal
waters between Double Island Point and the New South Wales border. Dangerous
surf conditions are expected along the coast south from Sandy Cape today and
over the weekend. The low will be continually monitored and should it
reintensify, appropriate warnings will be issued.

At 4am, ex-tropical cyclone Kerry was located near latitude 24.5S and longitude
159.3E, about 650 kilometres east of Hervey Bay, and was moving south southwest
at 10 km/hr.

The next information Bulletin will be issued by 11am Friday 14th January.

It is not looking good from the weather bureau's point of view.Hopefully by the time you go all will be normal.

Sparkie(IE not Y) ;-)
AnswerID: 92989

Reply By: kiss'n'dirt - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:23

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:23
had 2 weeks there just before x-mas and bro was there not too long ago.

barge landing is soft. High tide access track is corrug. get off at 12.4km mark from entry at barge end. beach is fine after that. hook point still has heaps of trees on beach. you're looking at 1 hr either side of low tides to get past hook. the rest is fine. I took the inland track option. If you have good suspension and robust vehicle should be no probs.

take first xit onto beach with bark.. the one before is an unofficial one people have made.go another km..it's easier.

usual soft stuff at indian head. in land track are ok. they have been grating them but holiday season is coming to an end so i think they may be a bit slack.. bad luck.

tracks generally ok. beach is usually narrow about 15mins south of indian head. careful of low tide. Eli creek is now running sth rather than north.

must cross at low if going down near the beach or go up higher near the cliff face and cross where everyone else does. this is good as it's fresh water from ELI and it's always about a foot deep. tide doesn't affect it.

every thing else much the same.

enjoy.
AnswerID: 92999

Reply By: Redeye - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:56

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 11:56
Have to agree with everything "Kiss n dirt" said. Was there two weeks ago over the new year.

Caution on ELI it sneaks up on you the way it is running,

Redeye
AnswerID: 93008

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 14:13

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 14:13
Crawfy
Forget the replies that tell what it was like last week or even yesterday. The now downgraded cyclone could make it totally different by the time you get there. Best to check after the blow is over, assuming it is over by the time you're ready to go.
AnswerID: 93048

Follow Up By: kiss'n'dirt - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 11:04

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 11:04
yeah.. that's right.. forget the replies.

ELI is probably now flowing in towards the island!!!! and the inland track is totally blocked off because the surrounding trees are all blown over.

FollowupID: 352198

Sponsored Links