Lake Proserpine to Collinsville

Submitted: Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 13:14
ThreadID: 19364 Views:4980 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

Does any one have feedback on access from Lake Proserpine to Collinsville. It appears there is no river (Bowen/Broken) crossing for direct access south of Collinsville.
Confirmation on GPS co-ords of a crossing would be most helpful.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter (on the move) - Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 19:28

Friday, Jan 14, 2005 at 19:28
Wim

Crossed through the back way from Eungella across the top of the ranges last year to Collinsville. I remember looking for detail as you are (Proserpine to Collinsville) and came up empty handed. If you decide to go through Eungella at least they have platypus and a wonderful forrest for an overnight Camp. Not something you expect at those latitudes.

Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 93119

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 00:55

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 00:55
Hi Wim,

Unless they've put an access track through in the ten years since I lived in that neck of the woods (home town Airlie Beach) there is no access from Lake Prossy to Collinsville. However, the original intention of the dam was to supply water to Collinsville, Bowen and Proserpine so IF they actually ever put a pipeline through to Collinsville one might assume that there would be a maintenance track...However, as its been 10 yrs I can't say for sure - best bet would be to ring the water corp. I used to ride horses all around the countryside surrounding the dam and even right where the dam is now before it was a dam. It's mostly all cattle station country.

As Peter says above, there is a good track through to Collinsville from Eungella Dam and this is an interesting trip. Certainly Eungella is well worth a visit and you can bush camp at the dam (well at least you used to be able, again you'd better check) say the night before then in the morning just head past the caretakers residence and you pick up the track virtually straight away.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 93167

Reply By: Dennis (Mackay) - Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 20:02

Saturday, Jan 15, 2005 at 20:02
There is a road from that region (Peter Faust dam) to Collinsville, but it is a High Voltage transmission line road, so you have to have keys for all the gates.

Used to have one when I did my apprenticeship at the Collinsville power house, but alas I lost it many moons ago.
AnswerID: 93283

Sponsored Links